Like the weather these days, these little cakes can make an appearance at any time. For breakfast. Dessert. With afternoon tea. It’s cake time, after all. Throw in a handful of chocolate chips in the batter. I won’t stop you. I’d probably even encourage it.
Chai-Spiced Cakes With Chocolate and Pomegranates (Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk plus 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup hot water plus 2 chai tea bags
- 1/2 cup maple syrup preferably grade b
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pomegranate de-seeded
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate 100% cacao, chopped (I used Baker's brand)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 6-inch mini cake pans with cooking spray. In a small bowl combine unsweetened almond milk and apple cider vinegar to make non-dairy buttermilk and set aside.
In a medium bowl, steep two chai tea bags in the 1 cup hot water for at least 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine sorghum flour, almond flour, white rice flour, arrowroot starch, coconut sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk to combine.
Once the chai tea is no longer hot, add maple syrup, melted butter (make sure it is not hot), vanilla extract, and eggs. Whisk until well blended.
Slowly add liquid to dry ingredients, stirring until mixture is well blended. Add in lemon zest. Fill cake pans a little more than halfway. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Invert cakes onto wire rack to cool.
To make chocolate sauce, bring 3/4 cup almond milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add unsweetened chocolate and butter, whisking until smooth. Whisk in maple syrup. If the sauce seems too thick, add additional almond milk until you reach the desired consistency.
When ready to serve cakes, drizzle chocolate sauce over cooled cakes. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top of cakes.