Whole-grain Mini Millet Muffins with Goji Berries are a healthy and satisfying way to start your morning. Naturally gluten-free!
Spending lazy Saturday mornings together are not something that happen for us often. From August through February I coach, and most Saturdays I am out the door early and home late in the afternoon. Last weekend, though, was totally wide open. After seeking out one of our favorite breakfast spots, Heath and I found ourselves wondering through the West Bottoms of Kansas City. One of the oldest areas of the city and former industrial hub and stockyard exchange, the warehouses that have sat empty there for so many years have now been transformed into an antique and vintage mecca.
Buildings and buildings and floors and floors of everything you need, want, and never knew you should have. We stumbled across a man selling all shapes and sizes of cast iron, and I couldn’t walk away without this little heart pan.
For it’s inaugural bake I wanted to make a nutritionally packed whole grain muffin. Using a blend of millet flour, sorghum flour, gluten-free oat flour, and flaxseed meal for good measure, the result is a satisfying muffin with a light crumb. I sprinkled a bit of sucanat on top of each muffin before baking, but they are equally as good without. I made a batch in a standard muffin cup pan as well and was so pleased in how they baked up. I’m currently kicking myself for not taking any photos of those, but that pretty much sums up how this week has gone.
Mini Millet Muffins with Goji Berries (Gluten-Free)
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-dairy buttermilk unsweet almond milk + 1 Tblspn apple cider vinegar*
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter, barely melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup organic dried goji berries
- Sucanat for sprinkling optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a mini muffin pan or 12 standard muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk millet flour, sorghum flour, oat flour, flaxseed meal, arrowroot starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk non-dairy buttermilk, eggs, butter, honey, and orange zest.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until evenly incorporated. Fold in goji berries.
- Fill muffin cups up three-fourths of the way. Sprinkle with sucanat if desired. Bake for about 13-15 minutes or until muffins tops have slightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes on wire rack, then turn muffins out and cool completely on wire rack.