Vegan Blueberry French Toast Casserole
This easy Vegan Blueberry French Toast Casserole uses gluten-free bread and applesauce to keep it completely gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free. Crispy on the top and a wonderful bread pudding texture below!
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch + 2 tablespoons water
- 18 ounces gluten-free/vegan bread, cubed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- organic powdered sugar, for dusting optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray or coconut oil.
In a small bowl, combine arrowroot starch and water. Whisk to combine then set aside.
In a large bowl, combine almond milk, applesauce, coconut milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add arrowroot starch mixture and whisk mixture again to incorporate.
Add the cubed bread and blueberries and gently fold with a large spoon or rubber spatula until all bread is saturated. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour (50-55 minutes was perfect for me). The result should be golden and slightly crisp on top and a bread pudding consistency on the bottom.
Dust top of casserole with powdered sugar and serve warm. Serve with maple syrup if desired.