There’s something so nostalgic about baking cookies. Whether you’ve made a cookie recipe a million times or never, the ritual is a familiar one. Combining the dough, taking a little taste only to make sure its just right, rolling it in your hands, filling the baking sheet with even rows, and waiting anxiously to try the first one out of the oven.
In the mad rush that we find ourselves in, baking cookies will always make you slow down. And thank goodness for that. We had a wonderfully relaxing Thanksgiving weekend, but come Sunday, I felt the work week creeping back into my consciousness. So I made these. Apparently, hazelnut and dark chocolate were also in my consciousness.
I kept the upcoming week at bay a little while longer and contemplated making a second batch. These thumbprint cookies are everything your cookie-making should be: simple, familiar, satisfying. No work week necessary.
Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies With Dark Chocolate (gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 egg white
- 5 tablespoons ground hazelnuts hazelnut meal or skins removed from whole roasted hazelnuts and ground in food processor
- 1 cup white rice flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- For filling:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter and coconut palm sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Using a small spoon, scoop cookie dough, spray hands with cooking spray, and roll into a ball, placing on baking sheet. If you find your dough won't roll into a ball, add a little more rice flour at a time until it does. With your index finger, make an indentation in the center of the ball (about midway down). Bake for about 12 minutes. You should start to see edges and bottom start to become golden.
- While cookies are baking, melt dark and white chocolate chips in separate microwave safe bowls, for 30 seconds at a time. Stir after each set of 30 seconds. Continue until melted.
- When cookies are done, remove from oven. With a spoon, fill indentations in cookies with dark chocolate. Using a fork or spoon, drizzle with white chocolate, if desired.
- Remove from baking sheets and allow to cool the rest of the way on a wire rack.