This Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake uses a cashew-based sauce and gluten-free penne pasta. A delicious gluten-free meal!
It's dinner time. You want something hearty, healthy, and satisfying.
March is that time of year where winter seeps into spring and comfort food reigns. Combining chicken and broccoli, pasta, and a homemade paleo Alfredo sauce, you've got a casserole dish to look forward to.
Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake Ingredients
With homemade Alfredo sauce and some other real food ingredients, it's time to get cooking. Here are the major ingredients you'll need:
- Gluten-free penne pasta
- Chicken breast or thighs
- Frozen broccoli
- Alfredo sauce
- Olive oil
- Red chili flakes
What type of chicken is best?
Chicken breast and chicken thighs both work well here. Use whichever type of chicken you prefer.
This is a great recipe for using what you have. Have leftover roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken? Skip the browning step and add the chicken in with the broccoli.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Pasta Bake
Recipes that allow multitasking can be a time saver. This dairy-free chicken pasta bake lets you do just that!
- Make your Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce (can be done ahead of time too).
- Cook the penne pasta, then drain and reserve a ¼ cup of pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook the onions, and then garlic in a saucepan until onions start to soften.
- Add the chicken and brown. Then add the broccoli, salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Cook until broccoli is warm.
- Stir the reserved pasta water into the Alfredo sauce.
- Add the pasta followed by the Alfredo sauce to the saucepan. Stir to coat.
- Transfer mixture to prepare baking dish. Bake for 10-13 minutes.
- Serve warm!
Absolutely! Store the Alfredo sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you start to prepare the recipe, remove the sauce from the refrigerator so that it warms at room temperature.
The best way to thaw frozen broccoli is by placing it in a bowl and covering the florets with hot water. Allow the water to sit for a few minutes and then drain. Repeat this process if necessary.
Storing Leftover Chicken Broccoli Bake
This pasta bake is best the day it is made. If you have any leftovers of this dairy-free chicken pasta casserole, cover it with foil and store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Reheat the pasta bake in the microwave or in the oven.
More Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lbs chicken breast or chicken thighs cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- couple pinches red chili flakes
- 1 recipe Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce* (makes about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 oz gluten-free penne
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare your dairy-free Alfredo sauce and set aside. Cook the penne pasta according to package instructions, then drain and reserve a ¼ cup of pasta water. Set pasta water aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil on medium in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until they start to soften. Then add garlic, stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and cook to brown it. Then add the broccoli, salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Cook until broccoli is warm and chicken is fully cooked.
- Stir the reserved pasta water into the Alfredo sauce. Add the pasta followed by the Alfredo sauce to the saucepan. Stir to coat.
- Transfer mixture to prepare baking dish. Loosely tent with foil and bake for 10-13 minutes. The top of the pasta bake will be a golden brown and creamy underneath.
- Serve warm. Top with ground pepper or red chili flakes.