Easy and lightened-up Spinach and Artichoke Strata is a perfect breakfast or brunch option for a crowd - comes together in no time! Gluten-free.
For as long as I can remember, my mom has made an egg casserole on Christmas morning. It is the only time each year that she makes it, and the memories associated with that simple dish of eggs, bread, cheese, tomatoes, (and a hefty dose of bacon and cream) harken back to Christmas trees, Santa, and family gatherings.
With Christmas morning close upon us, and in anticipation of having my sister back in town, I wanted to make a similar-yet-lightened-up strata. There's a hefty amount of fresh spinach, followed by artichokes (my favorite), tossed with gluten-free bread and sun-dried tomatoes.
Cover it with a light layer of mozzarella, parmesan, a simple egg-and-almond-milk mixture, and it is oven-bound in no time. Easy enough for slow mornings with lots of coffee, laughter, and perhaps never getting out of your pajamas. Happy holidays, my friends!
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Spinach and Artichoke Strata (Gluten-Free)
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 28 ounce quartered artichokes drained (2 cans)
- 5 cups cubed gluten-free bread
- ¼ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼-1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 ¾ cups unsweetened almond milk or dairy milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ dried onion powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13 ceramic or glass baking pan with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, artichokes, bread, and sun-dried tomatoes. Gently stir to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan. Top with mozzarella cheese, followed by parmesan.
- In the same bowl, whisk almond milk, eggs, ground mustard, pepper, salt, onion powder, cayenne, and nutmeg. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and veggies, coating everything in pan. (Tip: make sure sun-dried tomatoes are either covered with cheese or under other ingredients as they cook up fast if right on top).
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until set. Serve immediately. Season with salt and pepper if desired.