Gluten-Free Pistachio Shortbread Cookies are made with gluten-free flours, raw pistachios, and chopped chocolate for a sweet, buttery treat.
If there is one type of cookie that I find totally addictive and irresistible, it's a shortbread cookie. Add pistachios, a little dark chocolate, some sea salt, and its game over.
Besides being easy to eat, shortbread cookies are also relatively easy to make. Plus, the dough freezes very well (hello late night cookie craving).
This recipe makes enough for two logs of cookie dough, making it almost mandatory to bake some now and freeze some for later. Don't worry, I'm here for you.
Taking a cue from Alison Roman's famous salted butter and chocolate chunk shortbread cookies, I've rolled these cookies not only in pistachios but demerara sugar for an extremely satisfying sweet and salty crunch.
Gluten-Free Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Gluten-Free Pistachio Shortbread Cookie Dough
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) vegan butter or unsalted butter
- ½ cup (120g) organic cane sugar
- ½ cup (62g) coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (112.5g) raw unsalted pistachios, divided
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (41g) almond flour
- 1 ¼ cup (165g) brown rice flour
- ¼ cup (30g) tapioca starch
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (60g) potato starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped
- flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼-1/2 cup demerara sugar
- ¼-1/2 cup raw unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter, organic cane sugar, and coconut sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg, followed by the vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add ½ cup of the pistachios. Pulse until pistachios are a fine meal consistency. Transfer to mixing bowl, followed by almond flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, and salt.
- Mix on low speed until dough comes together. Chop remaining ¼ cup of pistachios and fold into dough with chopped chocolate.
- Divide dough in half and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Using your hands, form dough into a log shape, rolling on top of plastic wrap to help shape. Each log should be about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.If only planning to bake one log, place other log in freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator, place on a cutting board, and unwrap it. Set log to the side and spread an even layer of demerara sugar and chopped pistachios. Brush outside of log with beaten egg. Roll log in sugar-pistachio mixture until coated. Slice discs that are about a ¼ inch thick. Place them two inches apart on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes (10 was perfect for me), until lightly golden. Be careful not to overbake as they will become hard. Let them cool on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to wire cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.