This Rhubarb Bourbon Sour Cocktail recipe with a honey rhubarb simple syrup is a refreshing and seasonal take on the classic drink.
I thought about just designating April "Rhubarb Month," because in all honesty, it's about the only thing that has consistently graced the shelves of the fridge in the last few weeks.
So after covering breakfast with these cinnamon rhubarb muffins, I then switched gears and went straight to cocktail hour.
Honey-sweetened rhubarb bourbon sour cocktail it is.
Ingredients for a Rhubarb Bourbon Sour
I can't get enough of using seasonal fruit and turning it into a quick simple syrup. For this rhubarb bourbon sour cocktail, I made the simple syrup with honey, which goes wonderfully with rhubarb's tart earthiness.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Fresh rhubarb
- Lemon juice
Making Rhubarb Simple Syrup
A quick simmer until the honey melts and the rhubarb starts to break down, then strain, and you've got a beautiful pink simple syrup.
A drink for bourbon lovers
Once your rhubarb simple syrup is ready, the cocktail comes together in no time. As bourbon lovers over here, adding this drink to our repertoire has been a refreshing change.
The tart rhubarb with the honey-sweet and the lemon-sour work together in all the right ways.
More Gluten-Free Rhubarb Recipes
Can't get enough rhubarb? Check out this strawberry rhubarb crumble and the links below!
More Cocktail Recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Rhubarb Bourbon Sour
Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce rhubarb simple syrup
- Piece of rhubarb for garnish (optional)
For the Rhubarb Simple Syrup:
- Add honey, water, and rhubarb to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once honey has dissolved and rhubarb has started break down, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, strain into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
For the Rhubarb Bourbon Sour:
- Add all ingredients to a shaker filled with ice. Shake.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Add a piece of rhubarb as a garnish if desired.