A sweet cake donut made with whole grains flours, these Irish Coffee Cake Donuts are a perfect gluten-free and dairy-free breakfast treat.
Spring break has commenced for me this week and luckily the weather agrees whole-heartedly. That interior decorating issue we were having last week? Well, we took down those things we had already hung on the wall and I spent my first day of break painting. White walls. Everywhere. We're going minimalist, my friends!
But what is certainly more exciting than painting walls are these Irish Coffee Cake Donuts. So we'll get to it.
These simple donuts are infused with coffee in two ways. The batter, which consists of sorghum flour, almond flour, and tapioca starch, contains a splash of strongly brewed coffee. The amount listed below does not make for a strong coffee-flavored donut, but you could probably add another tablespoon or a tablespoon of instant coffee grounds to enhance that flavor. The glaze (this is my favorite part), combines more coffee and the not-so-secret ingredient, Irish whiskey.
These are a sweet treat to be sure, but one that is totally worth it. And while they would be perfect for your St. Patrick's Day celebrations, these Irish coffee cake donuts are pretty much begging to be made year round.
Hoping spring has come your way!
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Irish Coffee Cake Donuts (GF, DF)
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- ½ cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil slightly cooled
Irish Coffee Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar I blitzed unrefined sugar in the blender to make my own
- 3 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 6-cavity nonstick donut pan with coconut oil (if you have two pans, even better!).
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, then add almond milk, coffee, and coconut oil and whisk until combined. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and whisk again until combined.
- Spoon batter into donut cavities, filling ¾ of the way full. Bake for 17-18 minutes, or until donuts start to turn golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow donuts to cool in pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife and turn donuts out, allowing them cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack. Repeat until you've used all the batter.
Irish Coffee Glaze:
- While the donuts are baking, in a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, Irish whiskey, and coffee. If you would like a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Place a piece of parchment paper under the cooling rack. Spoon glaze over tops of donuts. The donuts will soak up some of the glaze, so I gave each donut a light layer of glaze, then went back and did a second coat. Sprinkle with crushed pistachio if desired. Allow glaze to set about 5 minutes before serving.