So here we are. The end of summer. We celebrated end-of-summer's eve last night watching our KC Royals play to a sold out stadium. Heath and I sat sandwiched between a couple families with young kids, and not a single detail of the muggy night under the bright lights escaped them. Wide-eyed with their royal blue capes, those kids were entranced by the megatron, stuffing popcorn and peanuts into their mouths as they cheered, and were endlessly trying to start the wave. I, of course, tried to oblige them each and every time. That is summer. The most American of pastimes, and through a child's eyes, no less. A perfect way to close it out.
Peanut butter chocolate chunk bars....get your peanut butter chocolate chunk bars! Ok, so it doesn't quite have the same ring, but you should still have some. You can whip up a batch and have them in the oven in less than 10 minutes. Only one bowl required.
These peanut butter chocolate chunk bars are made with the simplest ingredients; natural peanut butter, honey, eggs. I chopped up some maple-sweetened dark chocolate to keep it dairy-free, but any dark chocolate will do. Ooey gooey and oh so good, these are perfect for a last minute dessert to take to cookouts, picnics, and tailgates. A labor-less treat for your Labor Day. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars (gluten + dairy free)
- 1 16 oz jar of creamy natural peanut butter, salted
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- dark chocolate bar or maple-sweetened dark chocolate chopped or 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, combine peanut butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla extract just until smooth. Add baking soda and salt and mix until combined. Fold in chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake about 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. I prefer my bars to be a bit gooey in the middle, so bake longer if you prefer!