Fudgy and decadent, these Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies are the ultimate treat. Gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free.
This last weekend we spent some time with dear friends in Asheville, North Carolina. One evening, we were discussing “last meal-worthy” foods. While my last meal would probably consist of pizza, without a doubt, my last dessert would be these peanut butter swirl brownies.
A true treat for me is anything in the peanut butter-chocolate family, and brownies will always top the list. These brownies are adapted from a flourless brownie recipe from the early days of this blog.
Made simply from cocoa powder, chocolate chips, arrowroot starch (or cornstarch), eggs, and topped and swirled with all-natural peanut butter sweetened with just a touch of honey—these brownies are likely to become a go-to.
And while the brownies are a decadent, fudgy treat, the swirling is pretty darn gratifying as well. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies Recipe (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Brownie batter:
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup arrowroot starch/flour I like Bob's Red Mill Brand, cornstarch works here as well
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips
- ¾ cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- Peanut Butter Swirl:
- 1/3 cup all-natural peanut butter should be stirred well
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch baking pan with coconut oil and line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, salt and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until almost all chips have melted. Stir until smooth and allow to cool for a minute or two before next steps.
- Stir in coconut sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- Add arrowroot powder mixture and mix well until combined and smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for peanut butter swirl and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth top. Drop tablespoons full of the peanut butter mixture on top of batter. Using an offset spatula or butter knife to swirl the batters together in a loose figure-8 pattern. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, for 30 to 35 minutes, making sure to rotate hallway through.
- Let cool completely on wire rack before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.