These easy Cinnamon Baked Apple Slices can be served as a side dish or as a dessert with a scoop of ice cream! Gluten-free and vegan.
The smell of cinnamon-sweet baked apples is pretty darn heavenly.
These cinnamon-baked apple slices will fit the bill if you are looking for a simple side or an easy dessert.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- An easy recipe with simple ingredients
- A delicious dessert or perfect side dish
- Warm cinnamon apples the whole family will love
- The perfect way to get that apple pie fix without the pie!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Baking apples - Apple varieties like Gala, Jonagolds, Honeycrisp, and Pink Lady all work well. Granny Smith apples work here too, although their tartness may need a little added sugar to balance. A mix of sweet apples and tart create the best flavor profile.
Vegan butter - If dairy is not an issue, cow's milk unsalted butter can be substituted.
Ground cinnamon - The warm spice that gives this dish is that cinnamon sugar flavor!
Maple syrup - Refined sugar-free, this sweetener melds deliciously with cinnamon and vanilla.
Organic cane sugar - To make these paleo-baked apples, substitute them with coconut sugar.
Pure vanilla extract - Use quality vanilla for the best flavor.
Arrowroot starch - If needed, cornstarch can be used as a substitute.
Before you start: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, spray a 2 ½ quart or similar sized baking dish with cooking spray or grease with vegan butter. Prep your apple slices.
Step 1: Add the vegan melted butter, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, organic cane sugar, arrowroot, vanilla extract, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Step: 2: Add the sliced apples to the bowl. Stir to coat. Transfer apples and remaining liquid into the prepared baking dish.
Step 3: Bake for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven, stirring twice during baking time.
Step 4: Remove from the oven when slices are tender.
The beauty of these easy-baked apple slices is that they can be served as a side dish just as well as it does as a dessert. Here's a few ideas for serving and making the most out of apple season:
- Top with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream
- Serve as a side dish with chicken, turkey, or pork chops
- Stir the baked apple slices into oatmeal
- Top with granola for an impromptu apple crisp
- Serve with coconut whipped cream
Sweet and tart fresh apples are where it's at for baking apple slices. The following apples are excellent choices for this recipe: Gala, Jonagolds, Honeycrisp, and Pink Lady. These varieties of apples are firmer as well, ensuring they don't turn to mush.
The cinnamon baked apples can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Want more apple recipes? Check out this applesauce with peels recipe!
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
More Gluten-Free Apple Desserts
Cinnamon Baked Apple Slices
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 5 medium baking apples, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch pieces (a mix of tart and sweet such as Honeycrisp and Granny Smith)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 2 ½ quart or similar sized baking dish with cooking spray or grease with vegan butter.
- In a large bowl, add melted vegan butter, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, organic cane sugar, arrowroot, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the sliced apples to the bowl. Stir to coat. Transfer apples and remaining liquid into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender. The thinner the apple slices, the faster they will cook. One to two times throughout baking, remove baking dish from oven, carefully stir to coat apples, and return to oven to finish baking.
- When apple are tender, remove from oven and stir once more to coat. Serve as a side dish or as dessert with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream.
So simple and yummy 😋