These Cinnamon Baked Apple Slices are made with cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla, and a touch of coconut sugar. Serve them as a side dish or as dessert with a scoop of ice cream! Gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
The smell of cinnamon-sweet baked apples is pretty darn heavenly.
If you are looking for a simple side or an easy dessert, these cinnamon baked apple slices will fit the bill.
What types of apples are best?
Sweet and tart apples are where it is at for baking apple slices. The following apples are great choices for this recipe:
- Pink Lady
Easy Baked Apple Slices Ingredients
Utilizing the natural sweetness of apples, maple syrup and coconut sugar combine with ground cinnamon to enhance the flavors from baking. The preparation is short as is the ingredient list. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 5 Medium sweet and tart apples
- Vegan butter
- Ground cinnamon
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract
- Arrowroot starch or cornstarch
Can you peel your apples?
Some of you might be wondering if the apple peels need to remain on for baking. Not at all! Feel free to peel your apples before slicing if desired.
How to serve baked apple slices
The beauty of this simple recipe is that it can serve as a side dish just as well as it does as a dessert. Here’s a few ideas for serving:
- Top with vanilla ice cream
- Stir the baked apple slices into oatmeal
- Top with granola for an impromptu apple crisp
- Serve with coconut whipped cream
Want more apple love? Check out this applesauce with peels recipe!
More Gluten-Free Apple Recipes
Cinnamon Baked Apple Slices
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 2 1/2 quart or similar sized baking dish with cooking spray or grease with vegan butter.
- In a medium or large bowl, add melted vegan butter, water, ground cinnamon, coconut sugar, maple syrup, arrowroot, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the sliced apples to the bowl. Stir to coat. Transfer apples and remaining liquid into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until apples are tender. The thinner the apple slices, the faster they will cook. Halfway through baking, remove baking dish from oven, carefully stir to coat apples, and return to oven to finish baking.
- When apple are tender, remove from oven and stir once more to coat. Serve as a side dish or as dessert with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream.