Easy Chocolate Peppermint Snowball Cookies that are made gluten-free with almond flour and sweetened with coconut sugar and organic powdered sugar.
We were hit with some serious wintry weather this weekend. The kind of dreadfully cold and snowy weather that causes you to start hibernation practices immediately.
And in just the same way it seems illness always does, the forced slow-down due to road conditions— and maybe more importantly, avoiding the cold in general—was much needed and welcomed. And an excuse to make more of these chocolate peppermint snowballs wasn't so bad either.
Cookies for the Season
Snowball cookies—also known in other variations as Russian tea cakes, Italian wedding cookies, or butterballs— require simple ingredients and even simpler preparation.
The almond flour and cocoa powder in this recipe meld beautifully with the creamed butter and coconut sugar to transform into a cookie that I assure you no one would guess was gluten-free.
A quick note: Be sure the chocolate peppermint snowball cookies have cooled completely before rolling them in the powdered sugar. This will ensure that they firm up and won't crumble when time to coat.
Chocolate Peppermint Snowball Cookies(Gluten-Free)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour (not meal) 125 g
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch (cornstarch would work as well) 32 g
- ¼ cup cocoa powder 20 g
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup organic powdered sugar for rolling
- In a large bowl, cream butter and coconut sugar with an electric mixer until fully combined. Add the remainder of the ingredients except for powdered sugar. Mix until batter forms, about 2-3 minutes. Place bowl in freezer to chill for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once dough has chilled, rolled dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes (careful not to overbake) and place baking sheet on wire rack. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before removing and placing cookies directly on wire rack to cool completely.
- Place powdered sugar on a plate. Once cookies are completely cool, roll cookies in powdered sugar to coat.