Easy Sugar Cookie Bars recipe for any occasion. Made with wholesome almond and coconut flours. Gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free.
December is here. The lights are up. And when when I say the lights are up, I mean we've wrapped almost all the exposed ducts in our loft with white Christmas lights. Things are getting festive.
And with the holiday season in full swing, today's recipe is a one-bowl winner that takes little effort and is accessible to those with various dietary restrictions. Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, or paleo-friendly? Check. Will anyone notice? No.
Made with a base of almond and coconut flours, these sweet little bars are actually packed with protein and fiber. The combination also allows for that soft texture, and one that doesn't dry out too quickly.
Top with sprinkles of choice (or don't), cut into 9 large bars or into bite-sized squares, and enjoy a piece of sugar cookie heaven.
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup vegan butter*, melted I use Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar 57 g
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract I use Rodelle
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 ½ cups almond flour, packed (not almond meal) 223 g
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour, packed 31 g
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add cornstarch and water. Whisk to combine. Add melted butter, agave, cane sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Whisk again to incorporate.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda. Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until dough starts to form, about a minute. If the dough is not sticking together, you may need to use your hands to press together and incorporate into one big ball of dough.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan.
- Using an extra piece of parchment paper, flatten dough into an even layer, making sure all corners are filled.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
- While bars are cooling, rinse out and dry bowl, and add frosting ingredients. Using electric mixer again, beat until frosting becomes smooth.
- When ready to frost, gently lift bars out of pan using parchment flaps and place on a cutting board. Using a spatula, frost bars and add sprinkles if desired. Cut into large bars or bite-sized squares.
- Store in an airtight container.