This Gluten-free Chocolate Cake made with whole grain flours and sweetened with unrefined coconut sugar, is a super moist, chocolatey treat!
There is something extremely satisfying about stirring up a bowl of cake batter, pouring it into the pan, and then not-so-perfectly frosting it in a back and forth swoop-y fashion. Simple, no frills, and utterly delicious. And when things get frenetically busy, as they seem to every May, having an easy chocolate cake recipe in the arsenal seems of the most high importance.
This last weekend my husband graduated with his second Masters degree. Amidst the graduation and other planned events, I wanted to make him a special treat that he would like to eat. If you’ve followed the blog long enough, you may recall that my husband is not into sweets of any kind, (very unfortunate, I know) except for simple chocolate cake and the occasional chocolate chip cookie.
And so, inspired by Bon Appetit’s chocolate vinegar cake recipe—it’s secret weapon for moist, rich chocolate cake being plain old distilled white vinegar—I started working on my basic gluten-free chocolate cake game.
Using a mix of whole grain sorghum and millet flours, some tapioca flour, and sweet white rice flour that acts as the binder, this cake boasts some nutritional power as well as a nice moist and flavorful crumb. It’s sweetened with coconut sugar for some caramel-y notes and a sweet-but-not-too-sweet disposition. So whether you have a celebration, a picnic, potluck, or just in need of some dang chocolate cake, I think this will fit the bill.
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup sweet white rice flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee**
- sea salt for sprinkling, optional
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine sweet white rice flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, sorghum flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder. In another medium bowl, beat together with electric mixer butter, coconut sugar, and egg.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter mixture, stirring to incorporate. Add the water, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Stir until completely combined. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely prior to frosting.
- For the frosting: In a medium bowl combine butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and coffee. Using electric beater, mix until smooth.