These easy Hurricane Cocktail Popsicles bring all the flavor of the New Orleans drink into a fun treat!
Today's post is short and sweet with a quick and easy recipe for your Mardi Gras (or Valentine's Day??) celebrations.
Today being Lundi Gras means tomorrow is Mardi Gras and that can only mean I've gone through another Carnival season using Facebook to live vicariously through my friends in New Orleans, check Nola.com for parade pics, and make as many king cakes as possible.
To ring in the last weekend of Carnival, I made a riff on the New Orleans Hurricane cocktail. And like the real thing, it certainly packs a punch.
A traditional Hurricane is a passionfruit-based drink, sometimes with other juices, and uses both light and dark rum, and garnished with an orange slice and cherry.
There are many variations out there that use orange and pineapple juices as I did here, or in addition to passionfruit juice.
Depending on where you live, passionfruit juice can be hard to find, so I stuck with using just orange and pineapple and the juice of a lime.
To simplify the alcohol in these pops, I've used gold rum as a compromise and it does the trick.
So whether you celebrate Mardi Gras or not, this is one boozy treat worth celebrating. Happy Mardi Gras, friends!
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons grenadine
- 1 cup gold rum
- 3 teaspoons agave or honey
- 5 orange slices, cut in half, rind removed
- In a large bowl (preferably one with a pouring lip), combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Fill popsicle molds three-quarters of the way full. Place half an orange slice into each mold.
- If your mold has a cover, put on cover and place popsicle sticks into each pop and freeze for 5 ½ to 6 hours. If you don't have a cover, allow popsicles to freeze for about an hour and then place the popsicle sticks into each one.
- To remove popsicles from mold. run lukewarm water over outside of molds for 15-20 seconds to help loosen.