This vegan Chocolate Sorbet is made with only 5 ingredients. Rich and creamy and completely dairy-free! No ice cream maker required. Gluten-free.
Fruit shouldn't get all the sorbet love.
Chocolate sorbet is in a class all its own. Can it still be rich, creamy, and totally dairy-free? Yes it can.
Chocolate Sorbet Ingredients
What is sorbet? Sorbet is a frozen dessert that is traditionally made with sugar or honey and fruit or fruit juice. Often, water is also a key component in the recipe makeup.
For this recipe, unsweetened cocoa powder replaces fruit to transform it into a decadent chocolate treat.
Is sorbet vegan? It can be, yes. Sorbet, unlike sherbet, gelato, or ice cream, does not require dairy. To ensure that a sorbet recipe is vegan, it will depend on the sweetener that is used.
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Organic cane sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Vodka (optional)
How to Make Sorbet
The hardest part about this homemade sorbet recipe is having to wait for it to set.
Here are the steps to making rich chocolate sorbet!
- Prepare the base. Stir dry ingredients with water and bring to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips, vanilla and almond extracts, and vodka (optional).
- Chill and freeze: Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour. Then, transfer mixture to an ice cube tray. Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare for blending: Place chocolate cubes in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Freeze the sorbet: Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and freeze to set. Store in the freezer.
- To serve: Remove sorbet from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving to soften.
Tips for Homemade Sorbet
A couple things to note to make for a dreamy, creamy dark chocolate sorbet.
- Quality cocoa powder, vanilla, and almond extracts amplify the rich flavor.
- Sorbet can freeze completely solid, but using vodka helps prevent this. Adding in the vodka is totally optional, but if omitted, you will want to set your sorbet out for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow it to soften.
- A food processor helps whip this sorbet into a creamy frozen treat without the need for an ice cream maker. It also helps with its "scoopability."
- Crushed up freeze-dried strawberries make a delicious garnish. A little sprinkle of sea salt on top tastes great too.
Want more decadent chocolate desserts? Check out this flourless chocolate lava cake and the links below!
More Dairy-Free Chocolate Recipes
- Prepare the base: Add water, cocoa powder, organic cane sugar, and salt to a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips until melted. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, and vodka (optional). Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Chill and freeze: Remove bowl from the refrigerator and whisk mixture to reintegrate. Fill an ice cube tray with chilled chocolate mixture. Place ice cube tray in the freezer for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare for blending: Transfer chocolate cubes to the bowl of a food processor. You may need to allow cubes to soften for 5 minutes before running the food processor. Process the cubes starting on low speed and eventually running on high speed, stopping when needed to wipe down sides. Process until smooth.
- Freeze the sorbet: Transfer chocolate sorbet to an airtight container and store in the freezer. It may need to be chilled in the freezer prior to serving if consistency is softer than desired.
- To serve: Allow the chocolate sorbet to soften at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. Top with freeze-dried strawberries or sea salt if desired.