This Dark Chocolate Sorbet is made with only 5 ingredients! Rich and creamy and completely dairy-free! No ice cream maker required. Gluten-free.
Fruit shouldn't get all the sorbet love.
Chocolate sorbet is in a class all its own. Can it still be rich, creamy, and totally dairy-free? Yes, it can. And I assure you, it's not ice cream.
Plus, no ice cream machine is necessary!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Simple ingredients
- No-churn recipe
- Creamy texture
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
You can easily find all the ingredients at your local grocery store or health food store.
Unsweetened cocoa powder - Also known as natural cocoa powder, this adds a rich chocolate flavor.
Organic cane sugar - In lieu of refined white sugar, organic cane sugar is less processed and vegan-friendly.
Dairy-free chocolate chips - Choose semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips. If dairy is not an issue, free free to use regular chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars.
Almond extract and vanilla extract - The combination of these two extracts creates an irresistible sweetness.
Vodka (optional) - Adding vodka (or alcohol) to sorbet helps reduce the sorbet base's freezing point and helps prevent ice crystals.
Before you start: Get out all ingredients.
Step 1: Add water, cocoa powder, organic cane sugar, and salt to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips until melted. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, and vodka (optional). Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Step 2: Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and whisk the mixture to reintegrate. Fill an ice cube tray with chilled mixture. Place the ice cube tray in the freezer for 5-6 hours or overnight.
Step 3: Transfer cubes to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth.
Step 4: Transfer the chocolate sorbet to an airtight container and store it in the freezer. It may need to be chilled in the freezer prior to serving if the consistency is softer than desired.
This no-churn method requires the use of a food processor or a high-speed blender.
It also requires ice cube trays. I prefer silicone ice cube trays, but plastic ones will work too.
A couple of things to note to make for a dreamy, creamy dark chocolate sorbet.
- Quality cocoa powder, vanilla, and almond extracts amplify the rich flavor.
- Sorbet can freeze completely solid, but using vodka helps prevent this. Adding in the vodka is totally optional, but if omitted, you will want to set your sorbet out at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving. This will allow it to soften enough for the perfect scoop.
- A food processor helps whip this into a creamy frozen treat without the need for an ice cream maker. It also helps with its "scoopability."
Store the homemade sorbet in airtight glass or plastic containers. It is best eaten within one to two weeks to avoid ice crystals from forming.
This vegan sorbet recipe is delicious all on its own, but here are some ideas on how to serve it:
- Crushed-up freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries
- A little sprinkle of sea salt
- Fresh raspberries or strawberries
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce or syrup
- Fruit puree or compote
- Top with dairy-free white chocolate chips
Sorbet is a frozen dessert that is traditionally made with sugar or honey and fruit or fruit juice. Often, water is also a key component in the recipe makeup. For this recipe, unsweetened cocoa powder replaces fruit to transform it into a decadent chocolate treat.
It can be, yes. Sorbet, unlike sherbet, gelato, or ice cream, does not require dairy. To ensure that a sorbet recipe is vegan, it will depend on the sweetener that is used.
Yes! The ingredients in this vegan sorbet recipe do not have any gluten-containing ingredients or stabilizers. Always check the list of ingredients before making a recipe or buying store-bought versions.
Want more decadent chocolate desserts? Check out this flourless chocolate lava cake and the links below!
More vegan dessert recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Dark Chocolate Sorbet
- Prepare the base: Add water, cocoa powder, organic cane sugar, and salt to a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips until melted. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, and vodka (optional). Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Chill and freeze: Remove bowl from the refrigerator and whisk mixture to reintegrate. Fill an ice cube tray with chilled the chocolate mixture. Place ice cube tray in the freezer for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare for blending: Transfer chocolate cubes to the bowl of a food processor. You may need to allow cubes to soften for 5 minutes before running the food processor. Process the cubes starting on low speed and eventually running on high speed, stopping when needed to wipe down sides. Process until smooth.
- Freeze the sorbet: Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and store in the freezer. It may need to be chilled in the freezer prior to serving if consistency is softer than desired.
- To serve: Allow the sorbet to soften at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. Top with freeze-dried strawberries or sea salt if desired.