A delightfully delicious Gluten-Free Lemon Poppyseed Cake made with fresh lemons and whole grain flours for a cake for any occasion. Dairy-free.
My sense is that most people are either in the ‘love surprises’ or ‘hate surprises’ camp. While I don’t mind being surprised, I much more prefer to plan surprises. (This is also in line with how I didn’t like to play with Barbies, but loved to arrange the furniture in my friend’s Barbie house.)
This last weekend my mom turned the big 6-0 (sorry, Mom), and to celebrate, her three sisters and their daughters, along with my sister, traveled to Kansas City to pull off one big hilarious surprise.
Laughter is currency in our family. More often, laughter that causes (good) tears. If one person starts laughing, you better believe tears are to follow. Those are the best kind of laughs. Full-belly, uncontrollable, cheeks-wet laughter.
As Mother’s Day approaches, I am reminded that it is those simple moments that bring the comfort, the memories, and the joy that are cherished most. Listening to my aunts and my cousins this weekend, I wanted to bottle up the laughter to make sure I’d have more to listen to later.
This gluten-free lemon poppyseed cake is also simple. With bright lemon notes, poppy seeds for a little crunch and texture, and served on its own, dusted with powdered sugar, or a lip-puckering lemon glaze, you can bet its appearance will be a happy welcome at any occasion.
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Gluten-Free Lemon Poppyseed Cake
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup olive oil
- powdered sugar for dusting optional (blitz unrefined sugar in the blender for an refined sugar free powder)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a round 9-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Note: Eggs and milk should be at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine tapioca flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, sugar, baking powder, psyllium husk, and salt. Add lemon zest and poppy seeds and whisk until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, add almond milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until evenly combined.
- Add the olive oil and half of the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Beat for at least one minute. Scrape down the sides. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat until incorporated.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Serve with a dusting of powder sugar, or a lemon glaze, coconut whipped cream and berries.
Adapted from Gluten-free Girl.