Sweet and spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies with gooey marshmallows and made with whole grain oat flour. Gluten-free and dairy-free.
Sometimes you get lucky and all the cookie “must-haves” end up in the same cookie. Chewy. Gooey. Soft. Sweet.
These Mexican hot chocolate cookies are just that. With the warming spices of cinnamon, cayenne, and chili powder, sweet and spicy meets ooey-gooey on a whole new level.
Now, while the marshmallows are totally optional—I use Dandies brand which are vegan and made without corn syrup—they do add a little whimsy, extra gooey-ness, and chew. You’ll find that the pockets of marshmallows make for perfectly imperfect looking cookies, possibly my favorite part.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup marshmallows I use Dandies brand, optional
- In a medium microwavable bowl, add 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips and the coconut oil and melt at 30 second intervals, stirring after each. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut sugar and eggs together with an electric mixer until slightly fluffy and lighter in color; about 2 minutes. Continue beating and slowly add melted chocolate. Add in vanilla extract, beat well.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well until thoroughly combined. Fold in remaining chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes to an hour. The longer the dough chills, the easier it is to roll into balls and forms more 'perfectly' round cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Coat hands with cooking spray. Roll a tablespoon of dough with your hands and place on cookie sheet. Repeat.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until tops start to look dry. Allow to rest on cookie sheet for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container.