Easy Tahini Cookies made with almond flour and sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar. A chewy tahini cookie made gluten-free and vegan!
We all have our favorite types of cookies. Thin, cakey, chewy, or crispy. Chocolate, chocked full, or sugary.
Take your pick. The options are endless.
But I know I’ve hit on a good cookie recipe using the following unscientific criteria:
- I have zero restraint in the amount of cookies I eat in one sitting.
- My husband (who doesn’t like sweets) eats several.
And these tahini cookies, my friends, definitely hit both criteria.
Can You Use Tahini in Baking?
Absolutely. I’ve said it here before, but I prefer to use tahini in sweet applications more than savory.
Adding tahini to traditional baked goods, like banana bread, enhances the flavor profile in wonderful ways. Or like in Sarah’s gluten-free tahini snack cake with chocolate buttercream. Yum.
Tahini, made from ground sesame seeds, has a slightly nutty flavor. And it’s because of the nuttiness that tahini lends itself to so many different types of recipes.
Tahini Cookies Ingredients
The ingredients list for these cookies lacks butter or additional oil. The natural oil from the tahini does the job. Here’s the major ingredients you’ll need:
- Ground Flaxseed
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut Sugar
- Almond Flour
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chunks
So, if you are asking yourself if the chocolate chunk in the middle is necessary, I would give you an emphatic yes. In reality, it can be omitted. But the bit of chocolate is like the cherry on top for this salty-sweet, chewy cookie.
More Tahini Recipes
Easy Tahini Cookies
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- ¾ cup tahini well stirred
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup (110g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chunks I use Enjoy Life brand
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare flax egg, set aside. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk tahini, maple syrup, and flax egg together. Add almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop cookie dough and gently roll into a loose ball with your hands. The dough will be sticky, so spray your hands with cooking spray as needed to make rolling easier. Place on cookie sheet, press a chocolate piece in middle if using.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies start to look golden on top. Allow to rest on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing with a spatula and placing on wire rack. Leave on wire rack until completely cool.
- Store cookies in an airtight container. If stacking, layer pieces of parchment between to avoid cookies sticking together.