Gluten-Free Tahini Banana Bread enhances a classic with added nutty flavor and nutritional benefits. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free.
There is nothing like a slice of banana bread. As a self-proclaimed lover/hater of bananas, throw some in a baked good and I'll be the first in line for a bite.
Add some tahini to that banana bread and I might not want to share.
Tahini in Banana Bread
If you've been a reader here long enough, you probably will have noticed my growing love of tahini (have you tried my chocolate tahini cookies?) and the nutty flavor it lends to both sweet and savory foods.
That nutty flavor coupled with the nutritional benefits of tahini—high in calcium, B vitamins, vitamin E, and other minerals—makes this gluten-free tahini banana bread all the better.
Refined Sugar-Free Banana Bread
As with the majority of recipes here, this bread is refined sugar-free. Sweetened with a small amount of maple syrup, the recipe relies heavily on the sweetness that overly ripe bananas provide.
Gluten-Free Banana Recipes
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Gluten-Free Tahini Banana Bread
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas about 2 medium
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup tahini make sure it has been stirred well
- 1 ¾ cups almond flour 188 g
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- sesame seeds and/or walnuts for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with coconut oil and then line with parchment paper.
- Combine the mashed bananas and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix on low to medium speed until incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until thoroughly combined (the batter will be thick).
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Sprinkle sesame seeds and/or walnuts on top if desired.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a tester comes out clean (50 mins was just about right for my oven). During the last 15 minutes of baking, you may need to cover lightly with a sheet of foil to prevent over-browning.
- Allow bread to cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan using the parchment 'handles'. Slice and serve.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.