Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet is a an easy one-bowl recipe made with almond four, tahini, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and studded with chocolate chips. Gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free.
I am convinced that skillet cookies (along with cookie dough pots) are one of the best inventions. You get the crispy edges of a cookie, the fudgy chewiness of a brownie, and the gooey-ness you love from that slightly undercooked version of them all combined.
Add tahini to the mix, and you’ve taken it to the next level. Tahini lends a savory component that balances nicely with the sweet from the maple syrup, coconut sugar, and the chocolate chips.
A sprinkling of sea salt on top enhances that sweet-savory combo in the very best of ways.
A couple notes for this recipe:
- If you don’t need this to be vegan and/or you don’t have ground flaxseeds, you can sub with one regular egg (lightly beaten before adding) or one cornstarch egg (1 tablespoon cornstarch + 3 tablespoons water).
- Allowing this cookie skillet to cool completely is key to cutting and serving pie-like slices. Otherwise, the gooey factor will get in your way. (Not a bad thing in my opinion.)
- Adding ice cream alongside a slice or right on top and eating out fo the skillet is highly recommended.
Chocolate chip cookies on the brain? Check out these gluten-free chocolate chip cookies!
Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet Recipe
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 cup tahini well stirred
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil. Prepare flax egg.
- In a medium bowl, combine tahini, maple syrup, almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and prepared flax egg. Add vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chip, reserving a handful to sprinkle on top of cookie skillet. Transfer cookie batter to prepared skillet. Smooth batter with a spatula into even layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cookie is golden brown and has started to pull away from the edges. A toothpick test should come out mostly clean. Allow cookie skillet to cool completely before cutting and serving.