Easy Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Bars made from simple ingredients and naturally sweetened. Gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free.
I have yet to decorate for the holidays, but I’m happy to report that my kitchen has started the festivities in full force. Or, if you count the white string lights we left wrapped around the industrial piping that zig-zags back and forth across our ceiling, then we’re already done.
Roasted hazelnuts are one of my very favorite things to pull out of the oven. Their aroma and the shedding of their thin, wispy skins allows hazelnuts to transform into cookies, crisps, and other delectable baked goods.
These flourless chocolate hazelnut bars are an adaptation of my peanut butter chocolate chunk bars. By making your own chocolate hazelnut butter with roasted hazelnuts and cocoa powder, the butter is then whipped with eggs, honey, vanilla, and touches of sea salt to form a smooth and creamy batter.
Rich and chocolatey, these grain-free bars are sweet but not too sweet. A perfect treat to kick off the holiday season.
Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Bars Recipe
Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
For the bars
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 to 3 pinches sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark or semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add the hazelnuts to a baking sheet. Roast for 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool a few minutes. Transfer the hazelnuts to a kitchen towel and rub as much of the skins off as possible. Set aside a handful of hazelnuts and transfer the rest to the bowl of a food processor or high speed blender.
- Process until a butter begins to form, about 8 to 10 minutes, scraping down sides when needed. If you are having trouble with the butter forming, add a 1/2 teaspoon of melted coconut oil while the food processor is running. Add another if necessary. Once smooth and creamy, add cinnamon, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan with coconut oil, then line with parchment paper so that it hangs over two sides.
- In a medium bowl combine chocolate hazelnut butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer. Mix until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add baking soda and salt and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Chop the hazelnuts that were set aside and sprinkle over the top.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake about 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Due to the honey, the top will brown quickly. Cover with a piece of foil after about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and then slice into bars.
Adapted from my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars.