An immune-boosting, nutritionally packed treat, this Healthy Persimmon Smoothie is easy, delicious, and guilt-free! Gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free.
Happy New Year, friends! 2015 seemed to go by in a flash, and for me, it seemed to go into warp speed after we bought an old loft this summer that we have been continuously renovating.
We've been making progress though and were actually able to host my sister and her boyfriend over the holidays.
Unfortunately, I was quite under the weather for most of the holiday festivities, but it was from this that today's recipe was born.
Originally planning to make persimmon ice cream (which I still think would be delicious), the thought of doing anything too multi-step and keeping me from the couch seemed overwhelming.
Persimmons, packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, are immune-boosting gems in one pretty little package. Not wanting the persimmons on my counter to go to waste, a smoothie seemed much more doable, especially when I discovered how easy it was to peel a frozen persimmon!
The earthy warmth of cardamom pairs wonderfully with the sweetness of maple syrup. Take this cardamom syrup for example.
Don't have maple syrup? I think adding a pitted date would work well, or if not vegan, honey would be a perfect substitute.
I'm looking forward to the coming months in this space and am so very grateful for all of you that are a part of it. Your support, comments, and feedback mean so much to me. Wishing you all a peaceful and bright new year.
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Healthy Persimmon Smoothie
- 1 ripe Hachiya or Fuyu persimmon frozen
- ¾ cup coconut milk full fat
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or to desired sweetness
- coconut whipped cream
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- Rinse your frozen persimmon under warm water to soften skin. Using a paring knife, peel skin off persimmon. Chop persimmon into smaller pieces, removing top and tougher core piece. Place in a blender.
- Add coconut milk, cardamom, and maple syrup to blender. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour in a glass, top with coconut whipped cream and cinnamon if desired, and enjoy!