This Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Bowl with Coconut-Almond Sauce is an easy, hearty meal full of flavor adapted from Superfood Weeknight Meals. Vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan.
When the days turn shorter and colder, it is almost without thinking that I gravitate towards roasted vegetables paired with brown rice or quinoa or even pureed into soup. There is comfort in winter’s heartiest vegetables. The ease of preparation for dishes like these allow for more important things, like cozying up on the couch with a blanket binge-watching The Crown.
My friend Kelly from the blog, Nosh and Nourish, recently released her new cookbook, Superfood Weeknight Meals. When it arrived on my doorstep right before the holidays, it couldn’t have come at a better time. The cookbook focuses on fast and healthy weeknight cooking and features ten superfoods—avocado, cauliflower, quinoa, spinach, sweet potatoes, eggs, almonds, citrus fruit, olive oil, and lentils—my kind of meals.
Kelly’s roasted vegetable and quinoa bowl with coconut-almond sauce caught my eye right away. As Kelly suggests in the book, you can use the veggies called for in the recipe or use what you have on hand. I went with my go-to winter favorites—cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, beets, and sweet potatoes—and they go perfectly with the protein-packed coconut-almond sauce.
The coconut-almond sauce calls for soy sauce, so if you need to ensure it is gluten-free, sub in coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce. I’ve used both and they work perfectly.
Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Bowl with Coconut-Almond Sauce Recipe
For Veggie Bowl
- 1 head of cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 beet peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups brussels sprouts halved
- 2 cups 370 g cooked quinoa, divided
- 1 cup 240 g canned chickpeas
- 1/3 cup 80 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup 130 g almond butter
- 2 tablespoons 40 g maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml fresh key lime or regular lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- To Make the Vegetable Bowls: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange cauliflower, sweet potato, beet, and brussels sprouts on the prepared sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until everything is softened and lightly browned.
- Make the Coconut-Almond Sauce: In a large glass measuring cup, combine the chickpeas and coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree them.
- Add in the almond butter, maple syrup, gluten-free soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic and process until blended and smooth. Set aside.
- To Assemble Bowls: Place 1/2 cup of quinoa into each of four bowls. Top each with a portion of roasted vegetables and a drizzle or dollop of Coconut-Almond Sauce.