This Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Bowl with Coconut-Almond Sauce is an easy, hearty meal full of flavor adapted from Superfood Weeknight Meals. Vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan.
When the days turn shorter and colder, it is almost without thinking that I gravitate towards roasted vegetables paired with brown rice or quinoa or even pureed into soup.
The ease of preparation for dishes like these allows for more important things, like cozying up on the couch with a blanket and binge-watching The Crown.
My friend Kelly from the blog, Nosh and Nourish, recently released her new cookbook, Superfood Weeknight Meals. When it arrived on my doorstep right before the holidays, it couldn't have come at a better time. The cookbook focuses on fast and healthy weeknight cooking and features ten superfoods—avocado, cauliflower, quinoa, spinach, sweet potatoes, eggs, almonds, citrus fruit, olive oil, and lentils—my kind of meals.
Kelly's roasted vegetable and quinoa bowl with coconut-almond sauce caught my eye right away. As Kelly suggests in the book, you can use the veggies called for in the recipe or use what you have on hand. I went with my go-to winter favorites—cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, beets, and sweet potatoes—and they go perfectly with the protein-packed coconut-almond sauce.
The coconut-almond sauce calls for soy sauce, so if you need to ensure it is gluten-free, sub in coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce. I've used both and they work perfectly.
Love roasted veggies? Check out how to prepare roasted parsnips!
Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Bowl with Coconut-Almond Sauce
For Veggie Bowl
- 1 head cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 beet peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups brussels sprouts halved
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, divided 370 g
- 1 cup canned chickpeas 240 g
- ⅓ cup coconut milk 80 ml
- ½ cup almond butter 130 g
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup 40 g
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos 15 ml
- 1 tablespoon fresh key lime or regular lime juice 15 ml
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
To Make the Vegetable Bowls:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange cauliflower, sweet potato, beet, and brussels sprouts on the prepared sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until everything is softened and lightly browned.
Make the Coconut-Almond Sauce:
- In a large glass measuring cup, combine the chickpeas and coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree them.
- Add in the almond butter, maple syrup, gluten-free soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic and process until blended and smooth. Set aside.
To Assemble Bowls:
- Place ½ cup of quinoa into each of four bowls. Top each with a portion of roasted vegetables and a drizzle or dollop of Coconut-Almond Sauce.