This Potato Cauliflower Soup with Kale is rich and creamy but totally dairy-free! Inspired by Irish colcannon potatoes, this easy recipe is nutritious and satisfying.
Potato soup is like one big hug in a bowl. It’s comfort food to the max.
Add to that cauliflower and the combination is dreamy. Inspired by Colcannon, there are elements of the Irish mashed potato dish that show up in this recipe.
Colcannon is a combination of mashed potatoes, cabbage or kale, and leeks. Using those ingredients in addition to cauliflower gives this soup another depth of flavor and added creaminess.
Potato Cauliflower Soup with Kale Ingredients
Once you prep your vegetables, you are halfway to soup time! Here are the major ingredients you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Russet potatoes
- Minced garlic
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut cream
Don’t have leeks? If you can’t find leeks or don’t have them on hand, chop one yellow onion to use instead.
Want to know the best way to clean leeks? Check out this tutorial.
How to Make Potato Cauliflower Soup
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Cook the leeks until soft then add garlic.
- Add the potatoes and cauliflower followed by vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut cream to the soup and stir to fully combine.
- Use an immersion blender to puree half of the mixture, leaving half the veggies whole.
- Tear kale and add to soup. Place a lid on top and simmer until kale has wilted.
What to Serve with Creamy Potato Cauliflower Soup
While this vegetarian soup is perfect on its own, here are a few ideas for serving!
- Gluten-free bread (or biscuits!) on the side for dunking.
- An accompaniment to a salad.
- A first course when served with chicken, steak, or fish.
- Pair with a sandwich.
Want some more easy vegetarian meals? Check out these cabbage steaks or the links below!
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Potato Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut cream*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale, torn (about 3 cups)
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (3-5 minutes). Be careful not to brown them. Turn heat down slightly if necessary.Add garlic, followed by potatoes, cauliflower, salt and pepper, and cook for one minute.
- Add vegetable broth to mixture and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, lower heat and simmer until potatoes and cauliflower are soft (about 15 minutes).
- When veggies are soft, add coconut cream and stir to combine. Using an immersion blender, blend soup so that half of the potatoes-cauliflower mixture is pureed, leaving some potato and cauliflower pieces.
- Tear your kale into pieces and add to soup. Place a lid on top and cook on low heat until kale has wilted. Serve warm with ground pepper on top.