Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins made with almond flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, fresh zucchini, and sweetened with coconut sugar.
Ever since I posted the recipe for my gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake, I've wanted a version that I could eat for breakfast. While I'm all for having a piece of cake for breakfast—just add coffee—today's recipe for gluten-free, vegan chocolate zucchini muffins makes it that much more acceptable.
These zucchini muffins are made grain-free by using almond flour and arrowroot starch. Arrowroot starch, also known as arrowroot flour, is a pantry staple of mine and is perfect when a little starch is needed to help bind and give gluten-free baked goods a little "poof." (Technical term).
The wonderful thing about these chocolate zucchini muffins, besides the fact that they are protein-packed while also being egg-free, is that they taste like brownies. Rich, chocolate brownie muffins. With zucchini hidden inside.
And if your gardens are overflowing with zucchini or if you're overbuying like me, these double chocolate zucchini cake brownies from My Gluten-free Kitchen look like another fantastic way to get your veggies and gluten-free treats too.
Plus, this honey-sweetened chocolate chip zucchini bread looks mighty good too. An all-purpose gluten-free flour would work great!
Other muffin recipes:
Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins
Raspberry Oatmeal Streusel Muffins
Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins with Chia Seeds
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 flax eggs 2T ground flax seed + 6T water
- ¼ cup unsalted creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar 83 g
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour 123 g
- ⅓ cup arrowroot starch (cornstarch will work too) 42 g
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 51 g
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (water squeezed out)
- ¾ cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
- Prepare your flax eggs in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, add almond butter, coconut oil, and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Add flax eggs, followed by coconut sugar, vanilla extract, almond flour, arrowroot starch, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Stir until evenly combined. Batter will be thick. Fold in zucchini until evenly incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips (reserve some for sprinkling on tops of muffins if desired).
- Fill muffin cups ¾ of the way full. Once all are filled, gently shake pan from side to side to help batter level out. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan. Store in an airtight container.
Can honey be used instead of coconut sugar? My daughter seems to be sensitive to it.
Delicious and super chocolaty - my non-GF husband loved them too! Trying GF Apple Crumb Muffin, and GF Cranberry Orange Bread next...can hardly wait.
Yay! That's so great. I hope you love the others too. Thank you!!
This looks absolutely delicious! I make a mean chocolate zucchini muffins but haven’t tried any other recipe
Michelle~My Gluten-free Kitchen
I just got two huge zucchini from a friend tonight and can't will be making these!!
Yay! I hope you love them. Thanks, Michelle!
This looks absolutely delicious! I make a mean chocolate zucchini muffins but haven’t tried any other recipe Thank so Much Wonderful Information
Thanks for finally writing about >Vegan Gluten-Free
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins - Salted Plains <Liked it!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
So chocolatey and delicious Tessa! Need to grab some zucchini from my brother-in-law's garden!