This easy Vegan Hash is loaded with potatoes, zucchini, chard, red peppers, onions, and cooked in delicious chili sauce. Perfect for breakfast or brunch! Gluten-free.
A warm, filling breakfast will always hit the spot. Make it nutritious and delicious and it's even better.
This vegetarian hash recipe was inspired by a restaurant in Kansas City called The Farmhouse.
Veggie Hash Ingredients
Unlike some breakfast hash recipes, this potato dish is made with a chili tomato sauce. It adds flavor and depth to the skillet-cooked veggies and potatoes.
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Yellow Dutch baby potatoes
- White vinegar
- Yellow onion
- Red pepper
- Olive oil
- Crushed tomatoes
- Chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika
- Minced garlic
How to Make Vegan Hash
- Cover potatoes with water in large saucepan.
- Add vinegar and salt, bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Warm a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add onion, red pepper, and zucchini to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the spices, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Add the garlic followed by the potatoes and cook until edges start to brown..
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the skillet.
- Add torn chard to mixture and cook until wilted and evenly heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Not vegan? Adding an egg to this simple breakfast hash is a delicious addition.
Other tasty additions to this skillet?
- Top with avocado and a bit of sea salt
- Add baby bella mushrooms to the veggie mixture
Tips for Cooking
There are a few ways you can cut down on cook time with this recipe.
Prep your vegetables while the potatoes boil.
Use a large 12-inch skillet so that potatoes are cooking in an even layer.
Get out your spices and crushed tomatoes in advance for easy assembly.
More Vegan Recipes for Breakfast
Gluten-Free Strawberry Drop Biscuits
Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Muffins
Healthy Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 ½ pounds (24 oz) baby Dutch yellow potatoes halved and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 large zucchini sliced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups torn green red, or rainbow chard
- 1 avocado, diced optional as garnish
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water, add vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet. Add the onion, zucchini, and red bell pepper. Cook until vegetables start to soften, 3-4 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for one minute. Add the spices, remaining salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until edges start to brown. Stir in the crushed tomatoes. Add chard and cook (stirring occasionally) until tomatoes have warmed and chard has wilted.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately. Garnish with diced avocado if desired.
Leave a Reply