Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins made with wholesome almond flour and flaxseed for a healthy banana muffin recipe! Vegan, egg-free, dairy-free.
I always find muffins can so easily veer into the cupcake category. By the simple means that a really delicious muffin can so often have high amounts of sugar.
That’s what makes them so good!
What I have been wanting, craving actually, is the best banana nut muffin recipe I could make without all the sugar, gluten, and dairy.
Because while sugary sweet muffins in the morning are hard to beat, they never leave you feeling that great an hour or so later.
Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins Ingredients
So luckily, it is possible to have both. Here’s what you’ll need:
- almond flour
- arrowroot starch
- ripe banana
- ground flaxseed
- maple syrup
- ground cinnamon
- lemon juice
How to Make Simple Banana Muffins
Truly, these banana muffins are a breeze to make. A one-bowl kind of recipe, combine your dry ingredients followed by your wet ingredients.
Stir to form a batter and fold in the chopped walnuts. Divide the muffin batter into the muffins tins, top with extra walnuts, and voilà!
Gluten-free banana nut muffin magic.
These muffins store well in an airtight container. Or you can wrap them individually in plastic wrap for on-the-go breakfast.
And if you are on the hunt for more healthy muffin recipes, check out Gluten-Free Palate’s paleo carrot cake muffins!
More Muffin Recipes
Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cup (210g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice half of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup ripe mashed banana 1 large banana
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-tin muffin tray with paper liners. Prepare your flax eggs by combining ground flaxseeds and 6 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add lemon juice, mashed banana, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup and flax eggs. Stir until all ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the walnuts. Divide muffin batter evenly amongst muffin cups, between about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle remaining chopped walnuts on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Muffins should be a golden brown and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and place muffin tin on a wire rack to cool. Allow muffins to cool completely (especially before removing from liner).Store muffins in an airtight container for 2-3 days.