Slightly crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, these Gluten-Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies will have you wanting for more. Dairy-free.
We've been in New Orleans for the last couple days, visiting with friends and, as with most visits back here, stopping in at all my old favorites. While hot and dreadfully humid to be sure, there is a comfort in the way the thick air hugs you, the towering oak trees greet you, and the ghostly whoosh of the streetcar becomes the background soundtrack you forgot you needed.
Comfort. Comfortable. Comforting. All those things. We all have those things and places, I think, and for good reason.
Sometimes it's as simple as a cookie. I have been working on this gluten-free oatmeal raisin cookie recipe for a few weeks now, and I can finally say it brings me back t0 the oatmeal raisin cookies I remember loving.
I asked on Instagram a little while ago if people preferred oatmeal cookies with raisins or without. In my not-so-statistical analysis, oatmeal raisin was the overwhelming winner. In addition, I got the most wonderful ideas for other things that should go into oatmeal cookies–cherries, chocolate chips, nuts, coconut–I won't say I didn't think about adding it all into one cookie, because wouldn't that be good?!
These oatmeal raisin cookies consist of gluten-free oat flour, gobs of whole oats, raisins, and sweetened with unrefined organic cane sugar and coconut sugar.
There are a couple things about this recipe that I think necessary for a proper oatmeal raisin cookie. First, a good amount of pure vanilla extract. And secondly, a nice amount of ground cinnamon.
You probably noticed that these are dairy-free. Well, I went back and forth with using butter for this recipe or using coconut oil.
My fear was that the cookies would miss that necessary buttery flavor. But coconut oil won out! It gives the cookie a chewier consistency that is just right. The vanilla and cinnamon combine as well for a magical oatmeal raisin flavor.Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, cream coconut oil, cane sugar, and coconut sugar together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla extract.
- With the hand mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Stir in the whole oats until evenly combined, and lastly, fold in the raisins.
- Using a tablespoon, drop rounded scoops of dough onto the the prepared cookie sheet, spacing about 1 ½ to 2 inches apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cookies start to turn a golden brown.
- Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for about two minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.