Gluten-Free Oreo Balls made with dairy-free cream cheese, chocolate sandwich cookies, and vegan chocolate chips. A dairy-free gluten-free truffle recipe!
Gluten-free and dairy-free Oreo ball truffles. This is not a drill.
There are many holiday treats that I had to bid adieu to after going gluten-free. When I took dairy out of my diet it made that dessert pool even smaller.
Oreo balls were one such recipe I was sad to see missing from my holiday baking list.
Gluten-Free Oreo Cookie Ball Ingredients
But luckily, this semi-homemade Christmas favorite is possible. With the help of gluten-free sandwich cookies, dairy-free cream cheese, and vegan chocolate chips, it can be done.
I find that gluten-free sandwich cookies don't have the same sweetness that traditional Oreo cookies do. And dairy-free cream cheese seems to have a little more tanginess than the regular variety.
In order to get as close to the original taste as possible, I've added a couple small extra ingredients that make the flavors pop. This recipe will have you swooning for Oreo truffles all over again.
Here's the ingredients you'll need:
- Gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies
- Dairy-free cream cheese
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract
What's the Best Way to Crush Cookies for Oreo Balls?
To crush the gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies for this Oreo ball recipe, I prefer to use a food processor. But, if you don't have one, a blender also works well.
And if neither of those are an option, then place the cookies in a plastic resealable bag and crush with a rolling pin.
Do Dairy-Free Oreo Balls need to be Refrigerated?
I would recommend refrigerating your Oreo balls until ready to serve. This will keep them at their freshest but will also help prevent them from getting melty and losing their shape.
Best part? They will keep well in the fridge for 5-6 days.
Need more gluten-free treat inspiration for those holiday cookie plates? Cassidy's easy paleo and keto fudge looks rich and decadent. And Amanda's marshmallow popcorn treat bars would most definitely be a crowd pleaser!
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
Gluten-Free Oreo Balls
- cookie crumbs, sea salt, sprinkles
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place sandwich cookies in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse cookies until you have fine crumbs.
- Transfer cookie crumbs to a medium bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons to use as garnish. Add cream cheese, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir to combine. Eventually use your hands to completely incorporate ingredients.
- Using a tablespoon to scoop the dough, roll into ball with your hands. Place dough balls in even rows on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe glass bowl and heat at 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until most of the chips have melted. Stir until completely melted. Drop a cookie dough ball into the melted chocolate. Use a fork to cover and coat dough ball, then pick up with fork and allow excess chocolate drip off. Place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with extra cookie crumbs or desired topping. Continue until all cookie dough balls are coated.
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator for chocolate to set for at least one hour.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.