Easy, healthy, no-bake Chocolate Cherry Almond Energy Balls, made with simple ingredients and are gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
We’ve done a good bit of road-tripping this summer. Depending on where you find yourself traveling, “healthy” and “gluten-free” are two snack descriptors that don’t grace in-the-middle-of-nowhere gas station convenience stores. And if you’re not prepared, it can be a slippery slope. Enter these chocolate cherry almond energy balls.
These chocolate cherry almond energy balls, along with some super suspense/thriller audiobooks, have accompanied us on the road this summer and they fit the need for sweet, salty, and satisfying all at once. Simple ingredients—cherries, almonds, cocoa powder, dates—and a food processor, and you are quickly on your way to a healthier treat.
Now, if you want to take things up a notch, you can roll them in some extra cocoa powder for a truffle-like finish. Breakfast to dessert in seconds.
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Chocolate Cherry Almond Energy Balls (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- 1 cup dates pitted
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cherries
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 pinches sea salt
- optional: 2 tablespoons cocoa powder for rolling
- Place dates, cherries, and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Process until almonds are broken down into medium chunks. Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and sea salt and process until almonds are in small pieces and mixture has become a thick.
- If the "dough" isn't coming together, try adding a one teaspoon of water at a time until it does so. I added 2 teaspoons of water to mine.
- Scoop dough with a tablespoon and roll into a ball with your hands. If rolling in cocoa, place 2 tablespoons cocoa powder in a small ball and roll ball in cocoa until coated. Place completed energy balls in an airtight container and keep in the fridge or freezer.