This Pumpkin Icebox Cake recipe is made from layers of graham crackers and creamy pumpkin filling. A no bake pumpkin dessert that is perfect for the fall and holiday season! Gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
Whether it is for a special occasion, Thanksgiving dinner, or you need the perfect dessert for the fall season, this easy pumpkin icebox cake is it.
With layers of graham crackers alternating with a pumpkin cream layer, this no bake cake is a total crowd-pleaser. Like pumpkin cheesecake without the effort!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy dessert
- Simple ingredients
- No bake
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Graham crackers - Choose gluten-free graham crackers to keep things gluten-free safe (and those that are vegan if needed).
Whipped topping - Depending on your dietary needs, you can make this with dairy-free whipped cream or topping or regular cool whip topping.
Most health food stores or a larger grocery store chain will carry vegan whipped topping. You can also make your own homemade whipped cream.
Cream cheese - Choose a dairy-free cream cheese or regular based on your dietary preferences.
Powdered sugar - To keep things vegan and less refined, opt for organic powdered sugar.
Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and vanilla extract - These warm spices and vanilla compliment the pumpkin flavor so well. To substitute, use one teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
Vegan whipped topping brands
There are a variety of brands now making dairy-free whipped topping (perfect for no-bake recipes!). The following can be found at most major grocery stores including Target and Walmart:
- Whole Foods 365
This is also true for dairy-free cream cheese. You can find nut-based and tofu-based cream cheese from brands like:
Before you start: Grease 8x8 baking pan and set aside.
Step 1: Place cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Cream mixture with a hand mixer on low speed until smooth, then add the pumpkin, spices, and salt and beat until incorporated.
Step 2: Add vanilla and one cup whipped cream to the pumpkin mixture and beat to incorporate with the electric mixer, followed by the remainder of the whipped cream.
Step 3: Place a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of prepared pan. You may need to break the graham crackers to fit. In doing so, make sure they are in an even layer. Spread ⅔ cup of the pumpkin whipped filling over top of the graham crackers with an offset spatula.
Step 4: Repeat these layers two more times. Decorate your last layer with graham cracker crumbs and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Cover icebox cake with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for 6-8 hours to let the graham crackers soak.
- We need at least 2 cups (8oz) of whipped topping for this pumpkin spice icebox cake. Depending on the brand, many vegan whipped topping containers come in 9 or 10-oz tubs. Feel free to use it all, but no more.
- Different brands of gluten-free graham crackers vary in size. I used about 36 (two sleeves) whole crackers of the Schar brand.
Yes! Making an icebox cake ahead of time is one of the great advantages of this dessert. Because it requires no baking, it's an excellent make-ahead option for parties, gatherings, or to have a delightful treat ready for the next day.
Icebox cakes should be served within 1-2 days. Due to the whipped cream layered between graham crackers, the combination will eventually get soggy.
More pumpkin recipes
Pumpkin Icebox Cake
- 2 cups (9oz) dairy-free whipped cream/topping
- 8 oz dairy-free cream cheese
- ¾ cup (75g) organic powdered sugar
- 1 cup (235g) canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 34-36 gluten-free graham crackers
- Grease 8x8 baking pan and set aside.
- Place cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with a hand mixture until smooth, then add the pumpkin, spices, and salt and beat until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and one cup whipped topping and beat to incorporate, followed by the remainder of the whipped topping.
- Place a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of prepared pan. You may need to break the graham crackers to fit. In doing so, make sure they are in an even layer. Spread ⅔ cup of the whipped cream pumpkin mixture over the top.
- Repeat these layers two more times. Decorate your last layer with graham cracker crumbs and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- This icebox cake is best served within a day of being made.