This Strawberry Cream Cheese Icebox Cake is a no-bake dessert that will delight your taste buds. With only 6 ingredients this easy treat is a total win! It can be made gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Icebox cakes, or fridge cakes, are the perfect dessert on a hot day. A no bake delight!
Depending on your dietary needs, you can easily have a classic icebox cake that is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This recipe shows you how. The hardest part? Waiting for it to chill!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy no bake dessert
- Total crowd pleaser
- Can be made gluten-free and vegan
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Whipped topping - Depending on your dietary needs, you can make this with dairy-free whipped cream or regular cool whip topping.
Most health stores and larger grocery stores carry vegan whipped topping. You can also make your own homemade whipped cream.
Strawberries - You'll want fresh strawberries for this simple delicious layered dessert.
Cream cheese - As with the whipped topping, you can choose a dairy-free cream cheese or regular based on your dietary preferences.
Graham crackers - To keep this recipe gluten-free, choose your favorite gluten-free graham crackers. Some brands are also dairy-free and/or vegan.
If gluten is not an issue, regular graham crackers work too.
Powdered sugar - To keep things vegan, opt for organic powdered sugar.
Vanilla extract - To help sweeten and round out flavors, a little pure vanilla extract goes a long way.
Vegan whipped topping brands
There are a variety of brands now making dairy-free whipped topping. The following can be found at most major grocery stores including Target and Walmart:
- Whole Foods 365
Before you start: Slice strawberries and get out all ingredients. Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
Step 1: Place cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Step 2: Add vanilla and one cup of whipped cream and beat to incorporate, followed by the second cup of whipped cream until a creamy texture is achieved.
Step 3: Lay a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the pan.
Step 4: Spread ⅓ cup of the whipped cream mixture over the top of the graham crackers.
Step 5: Place a single layer of strawberry slices on top in an even layer.
Step 6: Repeat these layers two more times. Sprinkle crumbs on the top layer if desired.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- We need at least 2 cups (8oz) of whipped topping. Depending on the brand, many vegan whipped topping containers come in 9 or 10-oz tubs. Feel free to use it all, but no more.
- Different brands of graham crackers vary in size. I used about 36 (two sleeves) whole crackers.
- Decorate your last layer (the top of the cake) with sliced strawberries and graham cracker crumbs or just strawberries.
The best way to store leftover cake is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Fridge cakes are best when fresh but can be kept for up to 3 days.
You can customize this strawberry cream cheese icebox cake with other fresh fruit. Use fresh berries, mango slices, or bananas.
Swap out the graham crackers for chocolate wafers or gingersnaps!
If you love no-bake recipes, check out my roundup of 18 easy gluten-free no bake desserts!
The icebox cake got its name because of the way it is prepared and stored. Instead of baking the cake in an oven, this cake is assembled by layering cookies or graham crackers with creamy fillings, like whipped cream, or pudding. The cake is placed in the icebox (refrigerator) for several hours or overnight.
The time it takes to set can vary depending on the specific recipe, the ingredients used, and the thickness of the cake. As a general guideline, most icebox cakes require at least 4 to 8 hours of chilling time in the refrigerator to properly set.
Yes! Making an icebox cake ahead of time is one of the great advantages of this dessert. Because it requires no baking, it's an excellent make-ahead option for parties, gatherings, or to have a delightful treat ready when you want it.
More strawberry desserts
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Icebox Cake
- 2 cups (8oz) dairy-free whipped cream/topping
- 8 oz dairy-free cream cheese
- ¼ cup (25g) organic powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lbs strawberries sliced
- 34-36 graham crackers
- Grease 8x8 baking pan and set aside.
- Place cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with a hand mixture until smooth.
- Add vanilla and one cup whipped cream and beat to incorporate, followed by the second cup of whipped cream.
- Place a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of prepared pan. You may need to break the graham crackers to fit. In doing so, make sure they are an even layer. Spread a heaping ⅓ cup of the whipped cream mixture over the top. Place a single layer of strawberry slices on top.
- Repeat these layers two more times. Decorate your last layer with sliced strawberries and graham cracker crumbs or just strawberries.Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.