These Vegan Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are made with almond flour, rich cocoa powder, and sweetened with maple syrup. A healthier gluten-free cookie that is packed with protein!
There's a time for cookies. Now and always.
The now part is particularly important. And what I think we could all use a little more of right now are these double chocolate peanut butter cookies.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Ingredients
There are no eggs or dairy in this recipe. And, almond flour works gluten-free soft cookie magic. Here's the major ingredients you'll need:
- Almond flour
- Peanut butter
- Maple syrup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
While not necessary, I do love a sprinkle of sea salt atop these chocolate cookies. It really makes them that much more irresistible!
A few tips for this recipe:
- I recommend using almond flour over almond meal. Blanched fine almond flour gives these cookies their soft texture and almost buttery feel.
- When using all-natural peanut butter, make sure you stir it well before measuring and adding to the other ingredients.
- If you are not vegan or don't need to avoid dairy, using regular chocolate chips works just fine! I love using mini chips in this recipe.
Can you freeze these vegan double chocolate peanut butter cookies? Yes! Absolutely. Once the cookies have cooled, place on a tray or plate and allow to freeze for about half an hour. Then, remove from freezer and place in an airtight container, separating the cookies with small piece of parchment.
Then, you can remove cookies from freezer separately. Allow them to defrost at room temperature and enjoy!
Oh, and chocolate peanut butter lovers, check out Erin's healthy peanut butter balls!
More Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes
Vegan Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter well stirred
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup almond flour 75 g
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 50 g
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life brand mini chips
- sea salt for sprinkling optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk peanut butter, water, and maple syrup together until smooth. Add almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined and evenly incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips (I reserve some to press into tops of cookies). Chill in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll together into a ball with your hands. (The dough will be slightly sticky, so lightly wet your hands as needed to make rolling easier.) Place ball on cookie sheet. Flatten about halfway down with palm of your hand. Sprinkle with sea salt, if using.*If cookie dough separates when rolling, squish and reroll into a smooth ball.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes before removing with a spatula and placing on wire rack. Allow cookies to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.