This easy Vegan Chia Pudding recipe is a great option for a healthy breakfast or dessert! Serve with fresh fruit or nuts!
It can also make pudding!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy healthy breakfast meal prep
- Basic recipe you can customize
- Use your favorite plant-based milk
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk - The beauty of this recipe is that you can use your favorite non-dairy milk. Soy milk, cashew milk, or oat milk.
Chia seeds - Tiny black seeds similar in appearance to poppy seeds, they are little nutritional powerhouses. The seeds absorb the milk to make a pudding-like texture.
Black or white chia seeds can be used.
Pure maple syrup - This natural sweetener is also vegan-friendly but feel free to use a sweetener of choice or no sweetener at all.
Other liquid sweeteners like agave nectar, honey (not vegan), and date syrup would all work well.
Vanilla extract - A little bit of this gives a vanilla chia pudding flavor but can be omitted if desired.
Before you start: Get out all your ingredients, a mixing bowl, and small mason jars or containers.
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk together your preferred type of milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Step 2: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 hours, or overnight, until the vegan pudding has thickened.
- For a thicker pudding, add a little more seeds and allow it to thicken.
- To make a smaller batch, the general ratio is 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to ½ cup of dairy-free milk. You can mix the two ingredients directly in a glass jar or mason jar.
Serve as a nutritious breakfast or healthy dessert.
Add a dollop of almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter for extra protein and flavor.
Make a chocolate version by adding 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
Yes! Chia seeds are the edible part of a desert plant called the Salvia hispanica. They are sold in their natural form in both black and white varieties and therefore are vegan.
Chia seeds have several health benefits. The little seeds boast 5 grams of fiber per tablespoon, a good source of plant protein, and plant-based omega-3 fatty acids that number greater than flaxseeds.
More breakfast recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Vegan Chia Pudding
- 2 cups coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- ½ cup black or white chia seeds
- 3-5 tablespoons maple syrup or honey if not vegan
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- fresh fruit
- chopped nuts
- chocolate chips
- shredded coconut
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 hours, or overnight, until pudding has thickened.
- When ready to eat, stir, serve in small bowls or jars and top with fruit or other desired toppings.
- Make and refrigerate overnight and have pudding ready in the morning.
- For a thicker pudding, add a little more chia seeds and allow to thicken.
- To make a smaller batch, the general ratio is 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to ½ cup of dairy-free milk. You can mix the two ingredients directly in an individual single-serving glass jar or mason jar if desired.