A healthier, moist, Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Bread with an orange glaze made with almond and oat flours. Vegan. Have it for breakfast or dessert!
After coming off a week of some much needed downtime and family time (first Thanksgiving with my sister in 10 years!), the holiday baking bug has caught me.
I'm usually slower to embrace the holiday rush, but not this year. This might be due to the fact that we had a Thanksgiving weekend blizzard. And so with the snow, bring on the holiday cookies, breads, appetizers, and cocktails!
And here's a holiday bread that you'll want to make for yourself as well as your friends.
A healthier cranberry orange bread with an orange glaze that is literally the perfect icing on top.
Like I said, one for you, one for your friends.
Made with whole-grain, gluten-free oat flour, almond flour, and tapioca starch, it's got a wholesome base.
Those little magic chia seeds that make great breakfast pudding are used here as an egg replacer.
A combination of fresh orange juice, unsweetened applesauce, and coconut oil keep it moist.
Fold in chopped fresh cranberries and the zest of an orange for the flavor combo that we know and love.
Then, sprinkle on some chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, or nothing at all. Glazed cranberry orange bread bliss ahead.
So whether you want to serve this at brunch, use for holiday treat table at work, or save it for dessert, it works in all scenarios.
And if you are anything like me, my brain is already plotting the food and meals I'll be making when family comes back to town for Christmas.
Kristen's hashbrown breakfast casserole has caught my eye for Christmas morning. This slow cooker garlic parmesan chicken wing recipe requires little prep and would be great for a family gathering. And a holiday dinner must, Chandice's gluten-free crescent rolls have definitely made my list.
More Quick Bread Recipes:
Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Bread
Cranberry Orange Bread
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- ¾ cup almond flour 75 g
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free oat flour 127 g
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour/starch 26 g
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup fresh cranberries chopped
- 1 ½ cups organic powdered sugar 173 g
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
Cranberry Orange Bread
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a blender, add chia seeds, hot water, orange juice, applesauce, and coconut oil. Allow to soak, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add almond flour, oat flour, arrowroot starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and coconut sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Next, add vanilla extract to the mixture in the blender, and blend on high until smooth. Fold liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Once evenly combined, fold in diced cranberries and orange zest.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and smooth top with spatula. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Tent loosely with foil at about the 35 minute mark to keep from over browning.
- Allow bread to cool completely in pan on a wire rack before glazing and slicing.
- Once the cranberry orange bread is completely cool, whisk together glaze ingredients in a small bowl until mixture is smooth. Pour over bread, smoothing with the back of a spoon, if necessary. Sprinkle with nuts, if using. Allow glaze to completely set before slicing.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.