This Healthy Pumpkin Spice Granola recipe is made with healthy gluten-free oats, almonds, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and chocolate chips! Vegan.
The fall flavors in this vegan pumpkin granola make for the perfect breakfast or delicious snack.
Made with unrefined sugars, you'll feel good about this homemade granola.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Easy recipe
- Flavors of fall
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card below.
Oats - Buy certified gluten-free oats to rule out wheat cross-contamination. Use old-fashioned oats (also known as rolled oats) for the best texture.
Raw almonds - Use raw, unsalted almonds. You can easily substitute in other nuts like raw pecans or walnuts.
Spices - Ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice flavors enhance the flavors of pumpkin, maple, and vanilla. A little goes a long way toward the perfect balance.
Feel free to substitute in a pumpkin pie spice mix.
Coconut sugar - For depth of flavor similar to brown sugar, coconut sugar is an unrefined sweetener.
Coconut oil - Use refined coconut oil to avoid any hint of coconut. Olive oil would be a great substitute.
Maple syrup - The perfect natural sweetener. When you combine pure maple syrup with oats, the outcome is a perfectly clumpy, crunchy granola. Swap in honey (if not vegan) for a delicious honey almond granola.
Pumpkin puree - You can use canned or homemade pumpkin puree. Avoid using canned pumpkin pie filling.
Before you start: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large-rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 1: In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients— oats, almonds, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
Add the wet ingredients—coconut oil, pumpkin purée, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir with a large wooden or plastic spoon until the oat mixture is completely coated.
Step 2: Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet and spread it into an even layer. Using a piece of parchment paper, pack down the oat mixture.
Step 3: Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and gently flip over the oat mixture. Pack it back down into an even layer and bake for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from oven and allow granola to cool completely before breaking into clumps. Add in chocolate chips and transfer to an airtight container.
- When baking, it's important to stir carefully to get the inside parts to the edges and vice versa. This will ensure all the oats cook evenly.
- Tenting with foil during the last half of baking will prevent any burning.
Before storing your homemade pumpkin spice granola, make sure it has cooled completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5-7 days.
Should you want some extras in your pumpkin granola recipe, here are a few ideas:
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds,
- Coconut flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Hemp seeds
Oats are naturally gluten-free but are subject to cross-contamination if processed in the same facility as wheat, barley, or rye. Certified gluten-free oats in the United States have less than 19 parts per million of gluten.
Wait until the granola has cooled enough to handle safely but isn't cold. This lets you break it easily into your desired size. Not waiting until it's completely cool results in smaller crumbles.
Absolutely! You can omit the nuts and substitute them with seeds or nothing at all.
Other granola recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Granola
- 4 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 ½ cups raw almonds, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅓-1/2 cup dairy-free/vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut oil, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir with a large wooden or plastic spoon until the oat mixture is completely coated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Using a piece of parchment paper, pack down oat mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and gently flip over oat mixture. Pack it back down into an even layer and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow granola to cool completely before breaking into clumps. Add in chocolate chips and transfer granola to an airtight container.