An easy Maple Date Granola recipe that will have you coming back for more. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and Medjool dates and loaded with gluten-free oats, almonds, hemp seeds, and flaxseeds. Gluten-free and vegan.
When I find something I like, I tend to go a little overboard. A new favorite song or shirt or pair of shoes, I will play it over and over, grab it over and over, or throw them on over and over again without considering another option. This is especially true with food. Day in, day out and I'll have the same thing.
I recently shared with some of my girlfriends at our biweekly ladies night gatherings at Kathryne's, that as a kid I used to change the lyrics of popular songs and sing them while walking a loop around the kitchen table. Over and over again. (Yikes? Don't worry, I was a really cool kid. Promise.)
So all of this might sound slightly obsessive, but I like to think of it as, well, I know what I like.
And I really like this maple date granola. Naturally sweetened by simmering maple syrup with raw Medjool dates, the combination of the two creates a flavor that is irresistible. Plus, it allows for the clumpiest granola chunks you could ask for. With whole-grain gluten-free oats with sliced almonds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds, you have a protein- and nutrient-rich granola to get your morning started.
Maple Date Granola Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, heat maple syrup and date pieces over medium heat to boiling, reduce slightly, stirring occasionally until liquid has reduced and dates have softened, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.Mash dates a bit with the back of a spoon to break them down. Add olive oil and stir to combine. Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add oats, almonds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour maple-date syrup over oat mixture. Stir until dry ingredients are completely coated. Transfer mixture to prepare cookie sheet.
- Using an extra piece of parchment paper, press granola into an even layer, about a ½ inch thick. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, making sure to fold in edges. Pat back down firmly with a spatula. Tent with foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and again stir and pat granola back down firmly with spatula. Tent with foil again and bake for about 5 more minutes. Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool almost completely. When mostly cool, break up granola into pieces.Store in an airtight container.