The warming spices of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, and black pepper make for a spice-filled and aromatic gluten-free and vegan French Toast Granola.
There’s something about breakfast that I just love. Maybe it’s the time of day. The calm before the storm. The simplicity.
Whatever it is, I do know it is where I can reflect, reset, and re-energize. And while most of us can’t have long leisurely breakfasts with pancakes, fruit, waffles, eggs, and the most crispy of hash browns, I’ve come up with a workweek compromise.
French toast granola.
I’ve been thinking, Why wait until the weekend when you can have something just as comforting? Sure, we’re missing those decadent pieces of bread dipped into a spice-filled batter, but the aroma, flavor, and satisfying bites are still in full force.
Cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, and a touch of black pepper give this granola a warmth and a soothing aroma. I chose to use olive oil with this recipe to add to the richness of flavor that you’d find in the bread-heavy namesake and to keep it dairy-free for those seeking that option.
Flecked with pecans and almonds for both protein and crunch and drizzled with maple syrup while using a touch of coconut sugar for that French toast sweetness, I promise your kitchen will smell amazing.
French toast granola. It’s happening.
French Toast Granola Recipe
- 4 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 cup raw pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup raw almonds chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- dash of cloves
- couple dashes of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine oats, pecans, almonds, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl add olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Pour liquid over dry ingredients and stir with a large spoon until the oat mixture is completely coated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through bake time and flattening back into an even layer. You may find halfway through that you want to cover pan lightly with a sheet of foil in case your pecans look as though they are browning quickly.
- Remove from oven and allow granola to cool completely before placing in an airtight container. This will ensure there are clumps!