A 1-bowl dessert, these Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with all-natural peanut butter and sweetened with maple syrup.
Sometimes you just want a cookie. Sometimes you just want a cookie made to your current craving specifications. The time it takes from cookie-craving alert to pulling the cookies out of the oven also has to be minimal. No fuss, no chill time. Almost as if you said, “I need cookies STAT!”, and there they were.
I dealt with this very same situation earlier this week. Sometimes you want a cookie loaded with peanut butter, oats, chocolate chips, and sweetened with maple syrup, and I did. And honestly, I didn’t just want it, I think I needed it. This happens too, right?
My wants and needs duly calculated, these gluten-free peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were born. I have always been a big fan of all-natural peanut butter, and short of eating it right out of the jar, it works deliciously well here.
Adapted from my peanut butter maple cookies with dark chocolate and sea salt, I’ve made them vegan by replacing the egg with a flax egg. Never really knowing how that swap will work out in different recipes, I usually accept defeat before even glancing inside the oven. But, this time, it worked like a charm.
With one bowl, you can whip up these pantry staples in a matter of minutes. Due to its gluten-free vegan, nature, I found that allowing the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack, will prevent the cookie from potentially breaking. And if you don’t care and start eating them right off the pan (as I did), they are pretty great warm from the oven.
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I’d love to see! Tag your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains!
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan)
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water
- ¾ cup all-natural salted peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life brand
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare flax egg, set aside. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk peanut butter, maple syrup, and flax egg together. Add almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips and gluten-free oats. Using a small spoon, scoop cookie dough and gently roll into a loose ball with your hands. Place on cookie sheet and gently press down slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies start to look golden on top (I found 11 minutes was perfect for my oven). Allow to rest on cookie sheet for 3 to 4 minutes before removing and placing on wire rack. Leave on wire rack until completely cool.