Gluten-Free Carrot Oatmeal Cookies are full of wholesome oats, carrots, flaxseeds, and walnuts for a deliciously healthy treat. Vegan, refined sugar-free.
Happy spring! I realize for many it still feels like the dead of winter, but I'm sending hopeful spring vibes your way in the form of carrot oatmeal cookies.
Now, they might not be much to look at, but these bite-sized cookies will disappear quickly from your cookie jar. Packed full of whole grain gluten-free oats, grated carrots, flaxseeds, walnuts, and spices reminiscent of carrot cake, you can feel pretty good about the speed in which they depart.
Like many of the recipes on this site, keeping these cookies refined sugar-free was a priority (this qualifies them as a breakfast cookie, right?). Sweetened with coconut sugar and a touch of maple syrup, these cookies are sweet but not-too-sweet.
As you see in the photos, I've also included a simple glaze option, although I love them all on their own. You decide!
Make a Salted Plains recipe? I'd love to see! Take your creations on Instagram with #saltedplains.
Gluten-Free Carrot Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan)
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated carrots about 1 large carrot
- 4 cups gluten-free oats, divided 380 g
- 1 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two cookie sheet with parchment paper. Prepare your flaxseed eggs and grate your carrot. Set both aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add 1 ½ cups of the oats. Pulse oats until it is a flour consistency. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream coconut oil and coconut sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, and flaxseed eggs. Mix until incorporated.
- Transfer oat flour from food processor to mixture, along with baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix on low until incorporated. Fold in grated carrots, walnuts, and remaining 2 ½ cups oats.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough and roll into a tight ball. Place cookie dough two inches apart on cookie sheet. Using your hand, press cookie dough balls halfway down.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes. Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before transferring to a storage container or adding the glaze.
- Best eaten within 1-2 days.
To make glaze:
- Slowly add lemon juice to powdered sugar until desired thickness is reached. Drizzle atop cookies and allow to set.