Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies that are made with shredded coconut, gluten-free oats, cocoa powder, toasted walnuts, and sweetened with coconut sugar. A healthy no-bake cookie recipe that is gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
Summer is almost here! Can you feel it? School is officially out and I'm looking forward to a change of pace for the next couple of months to reset.
And make all the no-bake cookies one can.
There are so many variations of no-bake recipes out there, some with nut butter, and some without. Some with varying mix-ins, some just plain and simple.
These chocolate oatmeal no-bake cookies are a little bit of both. While the main components are made of five basic ingredients, each adds a complimentary flavor and texture.
The result from the combination of oats and cocoa powder, walnuts, shredded coconut, and coconut sugar, is a rich chocolate, slightly chewy cookie with a taste reminiscent of a brownie with walnuts.
A few notes for this recipe:
- While these are certainly no-bake cookies, the recipe does call for toasting the oats and walnuts in the oven. It is not necessary, but highly advisable. Toasting both adds an additional depth of flavor that is irresistible.
- Once you add the oats and walnuts to the chocolate mixture, be ready to work quickly by dropping tablespoons of batter onto the baking sheet while warm.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet to serve. Otherwise, they may crumble. This is the hardest part!
If you are hosting or attending a Memorial Day celebration this weekend and want some additional cookie inspiration, check out this resource of fun gluten-free cookies!
Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil 53 g
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar 100 g
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut cream*
- pinch or two of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place oats and walnuts on baking sheet in an even layer. Toast for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Line an additional baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place coconut oil, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, coconut cream, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil and then remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Add the shredded coconut, toasted oats, and walnuts. Stir until coconut, oats, and walnuts are evenly incorporated and coated. Working quickly, drop a tablespoon full of cookie batter onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet. It will be difficult, but allow them to cool completely before serving, otherwise they may crumble.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
I left walnuts out, but so good and really easy.
Hi there for your not cook cookies what can i use if i have nut allergies? What could i replace the walnuts with thanks
Hi Paulette! The easiest thing to do would be to replace the walnuts with the same amount of oats. Or, I bet you could sub in more coconut or even chocolate chips! I hope that helps!
These look amazing! Thanks for the great recipe.
Traci | Vanilla And Bean
Love, love loooove your spin on these, Tessa! And that coconut creme... genius! I agree about toasting the oats. It's worth the effort for the nuttyness toasting brings out. What a fun gluten free cookie resource! Thank you for sharing and y'all have a fabulous long weekend! xo