These homemade Gluten-Free Strawberry Pop Tarts are made with almond flour, tapioca starch, and oat flour and filled with strawberry jam for a delicious breakfast treat. Vegan.
Could there be anything more fun for breakfast than a pop tart?
That is probably debatable, but I’m willing to make the case for it. Frosted strawberry pop tarts with sprinkles feels like a time capsule back to childhood.
Toasted or untoasted, those individual rectangular pastries were pure joy wrapped in a foil package.
And now, a gluten-free pop tart recipe to bring back all the good feels.
Gluten-Free Pop Tarts Ingredients
While these toaster pastries aren’t as easy as opening a box, the dough comes together quite easily. Here’s the major ingredients you’ll need:
- Almond flour
- Gluten-free oat flour
- Tapioca starch
- Psyllium husk powder
- Vegan butter
- Strawberry jam
For the glaze:
- Organic powdered sugar
- Almond milk
Making Gluten-Free Pop Tarts
The wonderful thing about this pop tart dough is that there is no need to chill it. Instead of using cold vegan butter and cutting it in, melted vegan butter (or coconut oil) works like a charm.
Prepping for your recipe
You will be rolling out your dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Alternatively, if you have two Silpats, they work quite well too.
Picking your jam
For this recipe, you can use your favorite strawberry jam. Does it have to be strawberry? Not at all. Fill these gluten-free toaster pastries with jam you have on hand. Blueberry, raspberry, or apricot! The possibilities are endless.
To frost or not to frost
Depending on your desired sweetness, you can add the glaze to these vegan pop tarts or keep them plain.
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
Gluten-Free Strawberry Pop Tarts (Vegan)
- 1 cup (120g) almond flour
- 3/4 cup (75g) gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husk powder
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 cup organic powdered cane sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- sprinkles, optional
For the dough
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a piece of parchment paper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Prep another piece of parchment paper on a clean surface for rolling out dough.
- In a large bowl, add almond flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, psyllium husk powder, and salt. Whisk until flours are integrated.
- Add melted vegan butter to dry mixture, stirring to integrate. Add ice water a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition, until mixture starts to come together like dough. (About 2 tablespoons water is usually perfect).
- Squeeze the dough with your hands. It should come together and hold together. If not, add an additional teaspoon of water. If it is too wet, add a little more almond flour until dough consistency is right.
- Flour your hands with extra tapioca starch and roll dough into a ball. Sprinkle additional tapioca starch on piece of parchment. Place dough on sheet of parchment paper. Place a second sheet of parchment paper on top of dough. Press down and then use a rolling pin to roll dough out to about an 1/8 of an inch.*Alternatively, you can use two Silpats instead of parchment.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut 3x4 inch rectangles of dough. Flour a spatula with tapioca starch and gently transfer pieces to lined baking sheet. Reroll dough scraps and cut additional rectangles until you have 10 total. 5 of the rectangles should be spaced evenly on baking sheet. Pierce those pieces not on the baking sheet a few times with a fork.
- Spread 1-2 teaspoons of jam in the center of your rectangles on baking sheet, allowing for about 3/4 inch around the perimeter. Wet your fingers and trace the edges of each piece with jam. Place the second rectangles of dough on top of each jam-filled rectangle. Press edges gently together with a fork.
- Using a pastry brush, brush tops of each pop tart with almond milk. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until pastry starts to turn golden brown. Remove baking sheet from oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Allow pop tarts to cool before frosting.
For the frosting
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients, starting with 1 tablespoon of almond milk. Add a little extra milk if too thick, or a little extra powdered sugar if too thin. Spread icing on tops of cooled pop tarts. Add sprinkles if desired. Allow to harden and set before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, or in the refrigerator for 3-4.