Easy Lemon Butter Cookies with a deliciously tart lemon glaze. Gluten-free, grain-free, and refined sugar-free.
I have a confession.
I used to loathe anything flavored with lemon. More specifically, those of the candy or baked-goods variety.
When my grandparents used to visit us growing up, my grandma would always make a lemon meringue pie—my dad’s favorite—while they were in town. I would sit there at the table picking off the meringue until I hit that *eww* layer of lemon.
Boy, how times have changed. And thank goodness. While I’ll take chocolate concoctions of any kind, any day, the arrival of Spring has had me craving the bright and tart flavors of lemon.
These lemon butter cookies are just that—bright and tart, but also soft, chewy, and buttery. A cinch to make and a cookie that even the most discriminating gluten-eater won’t pass up a second. Is there really anything better than that?
Lemon Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour not meal, packed
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon organic powdered sugar*
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- grated lemon zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor (or large bowl), add the butter, cane sugar, honey, egg, and vanilla. Pulse for about 20 seconds or mix with electric mixer. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and pulse for another 10 seconds.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda and process until a dough forms. Allow dough to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop dough. Roll into a ball with your hands and place on cookie sheet. Spray your hand or bottom of a glass with cooking spray and flatten dough balls. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While your cookies are cooling, make your lemon glaze. In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar, melted butter, and lemon juice until a glaze forms. If too liquidy, add a little more powdered sugar. Frost cooled cookies with glaze and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Store in an airtight container.