This self-saucing Lemon Pudding Cake recipe has a soft, pillowy top layer and a delicious pudding layer underneath. Sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, this lemony sweet dessert is a treat! Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan.
If you've never had pudding cake, now is the time.
And it is just like it sounds. Part pudding, part cake, double the deliciousness.
Here, a self-saucing lemon pudding sits below a layer of lemon cake. A sprinkle of powdered sugar on top adds a perfect finishing touch.
Lemon Pudding Cake Ingredients
The beauty of this vegan lemon dessert is the short list of ingredients. Using the juice and the zest of lemons, the flavor is citrusy sweet.
Here are the major ingredients you will need:
- Almond flour
- Organic cane sugar
- Baking powder
- Arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- Vegan butter
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Vanilla extract
- Organic powdered sugar
How to Make Lemon Pudding Cake
Self-saucing pudding cake? How is this done? The magical thing about this self-saucing lemon pudding dessert is that the batter is topped with hot water and then placed in the oven.
What results is a pudding layer on the bottom and a cake layer on top. Here are the steps to making this magic lemon pudding cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a baking dish with vegan butter or cooking spray.
- Whisk together organic cane sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and combine.
- Stir in the liquid ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
- Pour boiling water over the top.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes or until edges start to pull away from sides and cake starts to crackle.
- Allow pudding cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired.
What to Serve with Dairy-Free Lemon Cake
The easiest and simplest topping here is a dusting of powdered sugar. But if you want something different, or in addition to, here are a few ideas:
- Coconut whipped cream
- Dairy-free vanilla ice cream
Want more gluten-free lemon dessert ideas? Check out these gluten-free lemon crinkle cookies or the links below!
Or if pudding desserts are more your thing, these vegan banana pudding jars are fun and delicious.
More Dairy-Free Lemon Desserts
Lemon Pudding Cake
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice (2 lemons)
- ½ cup (108g) organic cane sugar
- 1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons (175g) almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- organic powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 1.5 quart baking dish or 8x8 baking pan with vegan butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cane sugar and lemon zest. Then add almond flour, baking powder, arrowroot, and salt. Whisk to combine. Stir in lemon juice, melted vegan butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth top with spatula. Gently pour boiling water evenly over the top of the batter (do not stir). Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until top starts to crackle and the sides start pulling away from the pan.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with organic powdered sugar. Serve with ice cream or coconut whipped cream if desired. Best served warm.