These gluten-free Lemon Crinkle Cookies are soft, chewy, and full of lemon flavor! Perfect crinkles and crackles to add to your cookie plate. Dairy-free, egg-free, vegan.
This post is in partnership with Rodelle. As always, all opinions expressed are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Salted Plains!
Lemon lovers will delight in this gluten free lemon crinkle cookies recipe. If you love chocolate crinkle cookies, this lemon version are the perfect cookies for the holidays and every day in between.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Easy recipe
- Vegan and gluten-free cookie
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are a few quick notes about the main ingredients in this recipe. You can see a complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
Tapioca starch - Also known as tapioca flour, combines with water to make our vegan egg replacer. The outcome is a soft and chewy lemon cookie.
Organic cane sugar - Less refined and vegan-friendly, this granulated sugar pairs well with the flavor of fresh lemons.
Almond flour - Gives our lemon crinkles a tender crumb. This is a great gluten-free flour to always have stocked in the pantry.
Maple syrup - This natural sweetener helps bind our cookies as well as create chewy cookies.
Coconut oil - If you don't want any hint of coconut, use refined coconut oil.
Zest and juice of one lemon - Fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon zest are needed for the best flavor. Choose organic lemons to avoid pesticide residue.
Lemon extract and vanilla extract - In such a simple cookie, the quality of the extract that you use can really make a difference in flavor. Here, Rodelle's Lemon Extract and Gourmet Vanilla Extract are used together.
The Lemon Extract gives a pop of zestful citrus while the Gourmet Vanilla Extract complements with a rich vanilla bean flavor.
Organic powdered sugar - Choose organic to keep this recipe vegan-friendly.
Before you start: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place the tapioca starch and water in a small bowl, stir to combine and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine organic cane sugar, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice, and tapioca starch slurry. Whisk in melted coconut oil, followed by vanilla and lemon extracts.
Step 2: Add the almond flour, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl. Pour wet ingredients mixture into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are completely incorporated.
Step 3: Place organic powdered sugar on a plate. Use a tablespoon to scoop out dough, then roll into a ball. Place the ball of dough on plate with powdered sugar, roll to coat, then place on prepared baking tray. Repeat until remaining dough is gone. Press cookie dough balls halfway down with your hand.
Step 4: Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are set on the outside and the tops will just start to turn golden brown. For best results, allow baked cookies to cool on baking sheet for 4-5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- The dough may be sticky, so dampen your hand with water or spray hands with cooking spray.
- Allow these chewy crinkle cookies to cool to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container.
How to store
Let the lemon cookies cool completely on a wire rack before storing. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. They are best within 2-3 days of baking.
Step-by-step web story
More lemon desserts
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below and let me know what you think in the comments!
Gluten Free Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch + 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled
- ½ cup (116g) organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups (240g) almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (30g) organic powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tapioca starch and water in a small bowl, stir to combine and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine organic cane sugar, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, and tapioca starch slurry. Whisk to combine. Whisk in melted coconut oil, followed by vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl. Pour liquid mixture into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are completely incorporated. If needed, use your hands to thoroughly combine ingredients into a cohesive cookie dough. Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place organic powdered sugar on a plate. The dough may be sticky, so dampen your hand with water or spray hands with cooking spray. Use a tablespoon to scoop out dough, then roll into a ball. Place ball on plate with powdered sugar, roll to coat, then place on prepared baking sheet. Space cookie dough balls about an 1 ½ inches apart. Repeat until cookie sheet is filled with even rows.
- Press down just slightly on each cookie dough ball with the palm of your hand. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are set on the outside. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.