This Chewy Gluten-Free Gingersnaps recipe is dairy-free, sweetened with coconut sugar, and made with simple ingredients. Perfect for holiday sharing.
It wasn't until adulthood that ginger became an ingredient that was on my radar. Somehow, I had made it years, decades even, without enjoying the magic of ginger.
But have no fear, ginger takes a backseat no more. It is the star of these chewy gingersnap cookies and could just possibly make you fall in love with its earthy spiciness all over again.
The recipe for these cookies is quite simple. With the holiday season in full swing, simple always seems to be better. With a base of almond flour and coconut sugar, these cookies get their perfect chew thanks to the molasses.
A healthy dose of ginger and snap! It's time for cookies.
Chewy Gluten-Free Gingersnaps
- ½ cup coconut sugar 72 g
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups almond flour (not almond meal) 240 g
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine coconut sugar, egg, and molasses. Whisk to combine. Whisk in coconut oil, followed by vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Add wet ingredients and stir until evenly combined. If needed, use your hands to thoroughly combine ingredients into a cohesive cookie dough.
- Place organic cane sugar on a plate. The dough will be sticky, so dampen your hand with water (I keep a small bowl of water nearby), use a tablespoon to scoop out dough, then roll in-between your hands into a bowl. Place on plate with sugar, roll to coat, then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are set on the outside. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.