An easy crisp recipe made with fresh apples and butternut squash, this Apple Butternut Squash Crisp is best served warm with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream. Gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free.
There is much to be thankful for. This past weekend we were in New Orleans to celebrate the life of an old friend. In New Orleans, music brings people together, and in turn, love is shown and celebrated through music. This weekend was full of both.
As I type, we are now with family in the rolling fields of the Kansas Flint Hills, the spot that a year ago we came to celebrate my mom’s completion of chemotherapy. She is now healthy and in the clear. What a difference a year makes.
And now, an easy crisp recipe that you can throw together without too much fuss and focus on those that you want to share it with. This apple butternut squash crisp recipe blends the tart of fall’s apples with the subtle sweetness of butternut squash.
Combine the gluten-free oats, almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and you’ll have heavenly smells filling your kitchen. Serve with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream, and dessert is served!
Apple Butternut Squash Crisp (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- 15 ounces cubed butternut squash, pre-cut or from 1 squash about 3 cups
- 3 green apples like Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon heaping ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray with cooking spray a 2.5 to 3 quart baking dish or 9x9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine butternut squash, apples, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, coconut sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine and coat.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish. Wipe out bowl and add topping ingredients. Stir well to evenly coat oat mixture. Scatter topping over top of fruit and squash mixture.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until fruit is soft. At the 25-30 minute mark, tent with foil so that topping doesn’t burn. Let crisp rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream of choice or coconut whipped cream.