These Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats are made gluten-free and vegan with brown rice cereal, vegan marshmallows, and coconut flour. A fun allergy-friendly idea for birthdays or anytime!
Sprinkles are a game changer. Bright, happy, and always ready for a celebration.
Celebration or not, these cake batter treats are great for anytime. And a little extra fun never hurts!
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
Often with birthday cake batter flavored recipes, boxed cake mix is used as one of the main ingredients. To limit the added sugars and processed ingredients from a box mix, coconut flour works some gluten-free magic here. Take a look at everything you will need:
- Brown rice cereal
- Vegan mini marshmallows
- Vegan butter
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut flour
- Rainbow sprinkles
Are these rice krispie treats dairy-free? Yes! Using vegan butter in place of regular butter keeps things dairy-free and adds the buttery birthday cake flavor.
What brand of crispy rice cereal is gluten-free? There are a lot more options available now for gluten-free rice cereals. Brands that are gluten-free include Erewhon, Nature's Path, One Degree, or Barbara's. Do note, Kellogg's Rice Krispies contain malt and are not gluten-free.
Also, a note about sprinkles: If you need to adhere to a gluten-free or vegan diet, be sure to check the ingredients label. Not all sprinkles are gluten-free and/or vegan.
How to Make Gluten-Free Rice Krispie Treats
One of the wonderful things about this easy dessert is how quickly it comes together. Here are the simple steps:
- Melt the vegan butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the marshmallows and stir occasionally until melted.
- Sprinkle coconut flour on mixture and stir to combine.
- Remove pan from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Fold in rice cereal, salt, and sprinkles.
- Press mixture into a prepared baking pan and allow to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve!
More Gluten-Free Cereal Treats Recipes
Raspberry Coconut Cereal Treats
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 + ⅓ cups (10oz) mini vegan marshmallows (I use Dandies brand)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups gluten-free brown rice cereal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles check that they are gluten-free/vegan
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt vegan butter. Once melted add marshmallows and stir occasionally until melted.
- Sprinkle coconut flour over mixture and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Fold in rice cereal, salt, and sprinkles until ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Transfer and press the mixture into an even layer in the prepared baking pan. Allow to cool before removing from pan and cutting into squares.
My kids loved these!
That's awesome, thank you!
Can I use dairy butter for these?
Hi Valarie! Yes, dairy butter should work just fine here.
If I’m allergic to coconut, is there an alternative?
Hi Laurie! You can easily omit the coconut flour if needed. It adds a subtle sweetness and texture that helps with that "cake batter" taste. You could sub with almond flour for texture if you wanted.